cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 19

Re: BT Broadband connection to Hyperoptic equipment

Go to solution

@stereohavenwrote:

I’m pretty certain Hyperoptic don’t have their own network and use Openreach FTTH/leased lines.

If that is the case there is no issue, call the team as advised to check.

From Hyperoptic's webstie.

"Our purpose-built full fibre network satisfies the needs of today, and will meet the demands of generations for years to come. "

There is also the fact that Openreach's FTTP is an asyncronous product whilst Hyperoptic is syncronous. They do not lease lines from Openreach, they are building their own  network.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 19

Go to solution

Cool.

I did post a reply from an article on Hyperoptic that confirmed that they did use Openreach infrastructure but it was  from 2017 and was deleted as it broke forum rules. 

It was what I remembered reading and had based my initial response on, even though I accept it may no longer be the case:

"Hyperoptic broadband connects each building to the Internet with 1Gbps leased lines from BT Openreach (EADs)."

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 19

Go to solution

I spoke to a very helpful chap at BT this morning.

He told me that the fibre connection is owned by BT and runs straight to each house rather than via the old cabinets.

The installed kit is approved by BT and it doesn't matter that the modem is branded 'Hyperoptic'. Some installations might be branded Openreach, some not. He checked on the Openreach system and confirmed everything is good to go and ready for my new router to connect on my moving date.  The modem is an ONT modem for for use with both Hyperoptic and BT. They both use the same infrastructure, it's just a matter of who you have the contract with. Much like British Gas or NPower for example.

So it seems that in my case at least the fibre connection is owned by BT, but as well as offering their own services,  they also allow Hyperoptic to use it. Much like they do with Sky, Talk talk, etc, etc. 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 19

Go to solution

@Fstbloke72 wrote:

I spoke to a very helpful chap at BT this morning.

He told me that the fibre connection is owned by BT Nope, it will be either Hyperoptic or Openreach not BT and runs straight to each house rather than via the old cabinets That part is correct.

The installed kit is approved by BT and it doesn't matter that the modem is branded 'Hyperoptic'. Some installations might be branded Openreach, some not. He checked on the Openreach system and confirmed everything is good to go and ready for my new router to connect on my moving date.  The modem is an ONT modem for for use with both Hyperoptic and BT. They both use the same infrastructure, it's just a matter of who you have the contract with. Much like British Gas or NPower for example. Ok, so Hyperoptic are using Openreach infrastructure in some locations.

So it seems that in my case at least the fibre connection is owned by BT, Openreach  but as well as offering their own services,  they also allow Hyperoptic to use it. Much like they do with Sky, Talk talk, etc, etc. 

Good news, sounds like you are all set to go when your new router arrives.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 19

Go to solution

@Fstbloke72  Please do get back to us after you move in and let us know.

BTW Hyperoptic are not listed as FTTP providers by Openreach.

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fttp-providers 

Message 16 of 19

Go to solution

So I was right then.

#justsaying

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 19

Go to solution

@stereohavenwrote:

So I was right then.

#justsaying

I'll accept that when the OP has moved in and is successful.

Message 18 of 19

Go to solution
Hyperoptic. I told BT this and they said it didn't matter, their router will still work
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 19

Go to solution

Here's an interesting bit from Barret

"– Barratt Developments, Britain's biggest house builder, has partnered with Hyperoptic to install its full fibre broadband as part of the build process for all of its new build homes. Hyperoptic's infrastructure will be installed alongside Openreach and Virgin Media, which means home-movers will enjoy a best-in-class choice of over 18 different Internet Service Providers (ISPs), delivering the fastest, most reliable speeds and greatest range of packages, contract options and costs.
The partnership covers all future Barratt new build homes. It supports the obligations outlined in the amended Building Regulations 2010, which legislates that all new homes should have gigabit broadband as standard."

So at these new build premises it looks like they will have fibre and cable from three different providers !

Though it doesn't specify if the OR will be copper or fibre, but I can't see OR installing copper, so two fibre lines in each duct. That would mean an owner could subscribe to BT and Hyperoptic FTTP and use a load balancing router to really fly 🙂

0 Ratings