cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 311 of 433

Re: BT TV Box Pro - surround sound issues

My parents are experiencing this same issue. 

Set their new pro box up with their Sonos Beam (Gen 1) - connected to LG Nanocell TV via HDMI, then out to Beam via LG’s HDMI ARC connection. LG is in ‘pass through’ mode.

No surround sound from BBC, ITV, or CH4 HD ‘broadcast’ channels. However, surround is coming from Sky Max, Sky Atlantic, etc.. channels. - I’m aware that these Sky channels are IPTV channels and not OTA broadcast channels. 

Also, experiencing the same issue with Netflix and Prime TV. Netflix only being served up in stereo, but Prime is served in lovely 5.1.

When I use the Netflix app on the LG TV, bam! output to Sonos is in 5.1. Switch back to viewing the same programme via BT Pro box, output is only 2.0. - For this not familiar with Sonos, the Sonos app tells you which codec is playing through the speaker system, so easy to confirm what your ears are telling you.

BT sent out one of their tech support people (at a cost of £40) to look at the box, yesterday. I live some distance from my parents, so Mum popped me on speaker phone. The Tech-chap was able to ‘experience’ the problem. After satisfying himself that the set-up was ok, he decided to test out a new box. After setting up the new box……wait for it….. yep, the surround sound issue remained. He called a colleague, who suggested that it was likely that the programmes hadn’t been recorded in 5.1. Sadly, given the tech-chap explained he had experienced the same Netflix show with  5.1 sound through the LG TV, but not the BT Pro box, suggests the colleague was not picking up on the ‘nuances’ of the issue.

Anyway, the Tech-chap left my parents with their original Pro box and the surround sound issue, said he’d write a report, and went on his merry way.

So, would seem we’re back to square one. Next stop, sit in BT’s IVR queue and wait to speak with a helpful agent.

0 Ratings
Message 312 of 433

BBC1/2 only broadcast at most 2-3 programmes a day in surround sound. Channel 4 only the very occasional film and ITV have never broadcast anything in surround sound.

Today on BBC is only Live Olypmics, Live Football and The Green Planet.

@Awkward_Lokiwrote:

My parents are experiencing this same issue. 

Set their new pro box up with their Sonos Beam (Gen 1) - connected to LG Nanocell TV via HDMI, then out to Beam via LG’s HDMI ARC connection. LG is in ‘pass through’ mode.

No surround sound from BBC, ITV, or CH4 HD ‘broadcast’ channels. However, surround is coming from Sky Max, Sky Atlantic, etc.. channels. - I’m aware that these Sky channels are IPTV channels and not OTA broadcast channels. 

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 313 of 433

How do we know Netflix are feeding BT a stream that includes the same surround sound audio as is being fed to the TV?

(I get surround sound from BT Sport channels so I know for sure my BT Youview box is capable of processing it correctly)

0 Ratings
Message 314 of 433

While you are right, the post above specifically states it’s the same from Netflix which is 5.1 but works with Amazon prime as it should. I have the same situation. Obvious error and one that shouldn’t be massive to fix but just seems like there is zero urgency to improve the product. Every other TV box can present Netflix in 5.1 with Sonos except BT with an expensive pro box.

0 Ratings
Message 315 of 433

So the fault lays with Netflix, either with the stream they supply BT or with their app?  Have Netflix customers raised it with them direct?

0 Ratings
Message 316 of 433

Have  just spoken to Netflix, and they have stated that 5.1 is fully supported to the box. This also shows on the Netflix help pages.

Message 317 of 433

@gomezz That’s an interesting question. But, as BT offered for sale, allowed to be purchased, and then continues to take payment for, Netflix Premium (4K), it makes little sense for BT to then actively decide to only offer up the 4K image portion of the Netflix service, and restrict the audio quality. Likewise, if the issue sits with Netflix and not BT, then what benefit is it, from a customer experience perspective, for Netflix to decide/agree to supply BT with an inferior ‘Premium’ service?

But, as I say, an interesting question.

0 Ratings
Message 318 of 433

@gomezz @nickking24 

I should also add that they (my parents) get the same issue with BBC iPlayer. They tried to watch The Tourist on catchup. Surround sound delivered through the iPlayer app on the LG TV but not via the iPlayer app on the BT Pro box.

With Netflix now advising that 5.1 is delivered to the Pro box, it does suggest there’s an issue with how the the Pro box is handling audio formates from different sources.

0 Ratings
Message 319 of 433

You need to check the amp settings as BBC iPlayer has only ever been 2.0 on all devices - they have never offered surround sound even with their UHD.

Netflix deliver 5.1 to all devices - but may not have it enabled on some of their apps. Only Netflix can do the update if required.

The biggest audio issue with the Box Pro is the user has to decide of the format coming out of the box is 2.0 or surround. If you select surround then it marked as surround on the amp but only left/right are active.

@Awkward_Lokiwrote:

@gomezz @nickking24 

I should also add that they (my parents) get the same issue with BBC iPlayer. They tried to watch The Tourist on catchup. Surround sound delivered through the iPlayer app on the LG TV but not via the iPlayer app on the BT Pro box.

With Netflix now advising that 5.1 is delivered to the Pro box, it does suggest there’s an issue with how the the Pro box is handling audio formates from different sources.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 320 of 433

@ozsat .

It’s when watching those particular programmes the issue arises. Especially when my parents can watch whichever programme is being streamed on the LG TV and get the surround sound (through the Sonos Beam)

The BT Tech-chap experienced all this through his testing. Just a shame he wasn’t able to get his colleague to fully grasp the problem.

0 Ratings