cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

BT broadband speed halved from 8 pm to 10/11 pm every evening

hi I have a problem with my BT Fibre with Halo 1: my speed halves every day between 8pm - 11pm and the buffer / ping gets worse. I basically cannot play any online games as it buffers extremely. This has been happening for couple of month. I use a DSL modem / router combo but I have also tried the old BT hub router and the result is the same. Yes I have tried wifi and a wired connection and the result is also the same. Rebooting or disconnecting / reconnecting makes it worse. The hotline support (tried phone, twitter) dont really see the issue? The line worked perfectly until couple of months. I am sure it has to do with some over congestion or similar at my cabinet as they were def connecting more households and messed up as usual. This made the already mediocre connection even worse. The speeds falls even under the guaranteed minimum speed of 20+ which makes me consider if BT is still the right provider for me.  I have attached  pictures of the speed when it works from the BT wholesale website and the cabinet no I will post a picture later of the speed when it is reduced. If any of the mods could help it would be great thanks rgds sebCapture2.JPGCapture.JPG

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT broadband speed halved from 8 pm to 10/11 pm every evening

can you post connection stats from your router and also results from dslchecker by entering your phone number  leave the exchange and cab but delete number

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

hi!

I have attached pictures with the relevant info dont have the impacted stats will post them after 8pm. thx rgds seb

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

so your actual connection speed is well within your expected just problems at night?  no problems during the day with schools and holidays causing more usage?

the speeds quoted by BT are connection speeds not download speeds - there is no guarantee on download speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

hi yes the speed goes down around 8/9pm and goes up again around 11pm. Online gaming or similar is nearly not possible. No problems during the day. I guess the line is more congested during peak evening times when everyone is obviously streaming netflix / sky etc instead of going to the pub 🙂 There are some old posts on the same issue so doesnt seem to be that new. I guess some shifting to a less congested profile or similar helped. Try to explain this on the hotline to someone. My speed is below 30 which is the guaranteed min so I guess thats an issue? cheers seb

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

hi here we go.. ping 86 line below 30 mbps..  it is 7:20pm now, every day the same problem! Any mod pls help thanks!

bastecio_0-1609528780228.png

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Looks like peak time congestion which BTWholesale should be aware of and making steps to resolve. How long that will take depnds if it is just a simple rebalancing of the VLAN's or more/new kit in the exchange.

Not surprising considering this. ISPReview

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Hi thx so what is the solution to this? If I tell them this on the phone they won't have a clue as usual and tell me everything is fine. Would change of provider do sth or will it get worse speedwise? Unfortunately I live in an area where there is no possibility of fiber only the great BT and resellers. Thx

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

• I have called BT yesterday told them about the reduced speed from 6/7 pm every day. They have logged a fault, I did get a message in the morning that everything is fine again. Well it is not, I have same problem as before. They say they see 50mbit and I only get 30 or below. Can maybe one of the mods help thx. I am not getting anywhere to be honest. 
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Perhaps the Mods will offer assistance, I’ve seen posts in the past where the Mods  have enquired with BTw  if a VLAN that a customer reporting peak time slowing down is ‘running hot’, even  if the BTw report says all is OK, they can (AFAIK) arrange for you to be moved onto a different VLAN.

0 Ratings