cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT security

I carried out a factory reset on my laptop (Windows 10) as I was having some issues with an update not running properly.  I reset my bt security up again and my laptop showed when I logged into  the security app on my home page.  All of a sudden I now have a big warning sign on the bt app saying that it is deactivated.  I believe this might have originated with a 'trial' mcafee option that reactivated with the reset.  No matter what I do I cannot get it to work.  The settings button is greyed out (no access when I click on it).  The app itself is saying 1 of 2 licences is being used and identifies my husband's laptop as the 1.  I have uninstalled all the mcafee and the bt security and reinstalled it but get the same message time and time again.  I have found by comparing laptops that my windows security seems to have set itself up and is now 'protecting' my laptop (thank goodness) but I would like to have the mcafee from bt back on.  I have tried to deactivate the windows security as I am pretty sure this is blocking the bt app but cannot seem to navigate my way around. Tried calling BT after a long and tiresome search and ended up just picking any old option so I could speak to someone but although they tried they were unable to help.  The gentleman said he would pass the issue through but there was no reference number to quote back so I'm not holding out much hope.  Any help or advice would be appreciated please

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT security

Oh, that's so annoying! I had similar with a new HP computer that came with a trial version.
 I found this tool, linked on their help forum.

https://service.mcafee.com/?articleId=TS101331&page=shell&shell=article-view

Uninstall it in the normal way, from Control Panel, Programs & Features. Then run the tool linked in the article. Rebooting after each has run.

It's method 2 in their article...

"Method 2: Remove using the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR)"

Then try and install BT Total Protect again and it should link to BT rather than the stupid trial version.

Good luck!

Cheers
Ted
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hi.  Followed your instructions to the letter, including restart after uninstall and after running the tool.  The message come up with removal complete so I did a restart.  Then logged into my BT and downloaded McAfee again.  It all seemed to go ok and the McAfee box came up with a green tick and told me I was protected against virus' etc etc.  Then the McAfee box changed to this, (hope this copy and paste works when I post), then when I clicked on the bell icon which showed 1 message I got the box posted under this one: 

glowyglo_0-1625085679328.png

glowyglo_1-1625085768101.png

I am just so frustrated.  No idea what is the matter.  The tool said the laptop was clear and when I ran the download from my BT it didn't show a message to say there was anything still on it.

Really thought I was there for a few moments 😞

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Well, I'd probably use the tool again and remove all traces of it.

In fact, that's what I did after seeing how it completely "took over" my computer. I concluded that I'd probably be better off with a virus!

The built in Windows Security works well enough, life's too short to mess about with badly written software. If they can't even get their own installer working. I wouldn't trust them with my security.

Cheers
Ted
Message 5 of 8

Exactly, there are plenty of better alternatives.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for your help.  I'm going to give it one more go and then use Windows 10 security if it doesn't work.  By all accounts it supposed to be pretty good.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Thanks.  One more go and then I give up.  I'm not a novice at this sort of stuff so no idea, but not an expert either.  No idea where this is going wrong. 😞

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

@licquoricewrote:

Exactly, there are plenty of better alternatives.

Hear, hear!

0 Ratings