cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT wall socket

Hi  everyone!

We recently moved into a new home and registered our broadband with BT. In one of our bedrooms there's an unusual BT box by the wall. I unscrewed to see what could it be but I genuinely never seen something like this? (See pictures attached)

Is anyone able to shed a light on this?

Feel free to move the thread or suggest me to do so if not in the appropriate category!

Thank you

rsz_1img_20210529_123140__01.jpg

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT wall socket

Is your BT Broadband working properly, as that is just a junction box, probably joining the external incoming cable, to the internal wiring, usually if you phone line comes from a pole.

If you post picture on this forum, please do not use external picture sites, as not every one can view them.

Use the option to upload the picture to your forum gallery instead, using the camera icon.

Here is your picture, so all can see it.

IMG-20210529-123140.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hi! 

Thanks a lot for your quick reply, I have also updated my post accordingly.

My broadband is working properly. I was just wondering if I could use this box (maybe calling someone to fit a plug?) to have an ethernet connection in my bedroom as it's currently used as a working from home office... 🙂

I have the feeling this might be the cable that is coming from downstairs (this box looks positioned in line with my downstairs internet plug)

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

No, you would not be able to use that cable. I suspect its the main incoming line. Does your phone line come from a pole?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

No, I don't think it comes from a pole. There isn't any pole near my house either

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

@Skyflyer97 wrote:

No, I don't think it comes from a pole. There isn't any pole near my house either

I think you will just have to trace the cable. Its jus a bit odd that it looks like black external cable coming in.

See what others think.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

I think that may be an old ‘Redcare’ block terminal 92a, BT Redcare being a monitored alarm system that utilised the phone line , it was/is an ‘alarm by carrier’ system , not a dial up alarm, so  if the line was ‘cut’ the alarm was still raised ( as well as other types of activation ) , dialup alarms easily disabled just by cutting the line it was connected to , ( before mobiles )  presumably the OP’s property once had this type of alarm system 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

It does say BT 92a on the block terminal which iniltous correctly identified as as Redcar Block Terminal however other than a different cover this is identical to a BT80A. This is used to convert an incoming Dropwire from a pole to an internal type cable.

The Dropwire terminates under the screws and the internal cable in the IDC. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings