cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Broadband drops and crackly line

Go to solution

For several weeks now the broadband connection drops out for a minute at a time then comes back up. This makes it nigh on impossible to attend online meetings as the connection keeps going down.

The landline is crackly and tests say there is no fault outside. We've tried the test socket which is quiet.

We had a similar problem about 3 years ago and at first we were told it was an internal fault. We had 3 engineers out who all said it was a fault outside and there was moisture in the box on the street. This was fixed but the problem continued. 

The final engineer cited the problem in the exchange a few streets away and when this was resolved we never had issues again until now.

I do not wish to be charged for something which isn't our fault when clearly it isn't. The previous time BT said it was an internal fault when it wasn't so I'm wondering if this is the case again now.

I'm at a loss as to what else we can try. We've even unplugged the 2nd phone in the house.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Broadband drops and crackly line

Go to solution

Are you a BT broadband customer?

If your line is silent , no crackle, when connected to test socket that certainly suggests the problem is either with the master faceplate or your internal wiring.

Check with quiet line test. Dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me. I've done the quiet line test with the line as it is and also the test socket and there is definite crackling on both so what now?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

If you still get crackle on line when using the test so let then report a phone fault not broadband to CS 150 or 0800800150 from mobile and get openreach engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thankyou, I went through the bit on text there and it said there was indeed a fault outside and they would send an engineer tomorrow morning. 

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings