cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 37

Re: Broadband speed just suddenly almost halved.

if you want to continue with switching off at night and on next morning then not a problems just DLM will not improve your connection speed

Be interested to see post after you try OFCOM as they will note your contact but don't deal with individual cases

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 32 of 37

Thanks - I'm not getting at you, by the way - I'm just getting frustrated at getting nowhere and I'm sick of getting error messages and the rotating icon of doom if I try to access any 'catch-up' services, i.e. the BBC Iplayer or whatever, (especially in view of all the annoying "Superfast Broadband" adverts and the misleading speeds that are quoted. so how else can I escalate it? I was reasonably happy with an ADSL 5 Mbps service until this VDSL upgrade was imposed upon me in 2020, then some time later it suddenly became a 2.5 Mbps service, (if I'm lucky - it's often less) and that is so frustrating as it's moved from being barely adequate, to being on the cusp of unusable. I've tried leaving the system for ten days as previously advised with no effect and I hope you'll forgive me if I'm sceptical about the "weeks" scenario, (I don't see any logical reason for 'training' a line for 'weeks' BTW - or even 10 days for that matter - a couple of days should be adequate), but I'll give it a try, electricity supply permitting - we've had lots of power works around here which make it unlikely - we're off for two hours tomorrow for example, at least I think it's tomorrow - must check...

The absolutely identical fixed logon sync rate (& 8.4dB S/N) to me as an engineer indicates a rate cap. Assuming that Openreach have not imposed a rate cap (!) is it possible for instance that the DSLAM is locked up and needs a reset? Any possibility of that? I'm sure you must have a few contacts left in Openreach...

Regards,

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 37

Thanks for you help. I've submitted the following mis-selling compaint against BT to Ofcom. I'll see what they come back with and probably follow it up with an ADR submission. (I feel I've got to try something as BT CS don't want to know and the service is degraded to such an extent that many data intensive application, esp. TV catch-up services, simply don't work properly where once they did..):

June 2020: Out of the blue I received from BT a Smart Hub 2 modem/router in the post followed up by an email from them to say I was being 'upgraded' from my not brilliant 6 Mbps downstream, (5 Mbps data rate), ADSL2 service to a 'Superfast Fibre' VDSL2 service, with an estimated downstream speed range of "4Mbps-7Mbps" and led to believe that my service would at least be no worse than it was, so I thought "fair enough". Initially the downstream speed was comparable to the original ADSL2 service, but 1 year later, my downstream speed dropped by 50%. I now sync at a downstream rate of EXACTLY 3.095 Mbps every time I connect, (indicative of a speed cap by BT/Openreach as normally you get a different sync rate every time you connect due to line variations), with a data rate of 2.5Mbps, (if I'm lucky - it's often less), and it doesn't improve if I leave it for the "10 days" training period. It is now unuseable for many things. I twice contacted BT customer services and complained of the 50% drop in service speed. The first time they pointed out my new "minimum speed guarantee" was 2Mbps and didn't want to know. When it dropped below 2Mbps I contacted them again and they then said my minimum speed guarantee was 1Mbps and again didn't want to know. I believe I was mis-sold the VDSL2 service and that has led to a 50% degradation of my broadband service, (I suspect due to a speed cap by either BT or Openreach). Is this sort of mis-selling fair or permitted?

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 37

Lets just get a few things straight, neither BT nor Openreach deliberately throttle connections. End of.

DLM may take action to reduce speed in an attempt to stabilise it if a line is faulty.

The reason for moving customers from exchange based ADSL services to cabinet based VDSL services is to allow the closure of the exchange based DSLAMs

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 37

Great - finally after all these  years and many compaints my line finally became totally unusable with noise and dropouts and I eventually got some help with that and my complaint that my vdsl2 speed had suddenly halved and always synced at the same speed of c. 3Mbps with 8-9db S/N ratio and never improved. Within five minutes the Openreach engineer diagnosed a fault, (H/R joint), 40 metres from the master socket at a connection box up a pole, fixed it, reset the locked DLSM  and my sync speed is now back up in excess of 5Mbps. Hopefully it will stay that way. I know 5Mbps is pretty pitiful in this day and age, but at least it's useable now and twice as good as 2.5Mbps.. Roll on our community FTTP project which is currently in the delivery phase.

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 37

So not deliberately throttled after all then.

Thanks for the update.

Message 37 of 37

Thank you for your very helpful reply.

No, just a definite line fault that I couldn't get attended to by BT which caused the DSLM to lock down the line speed, (according to the very helpful & knowledgeable Openreach engineer), which of course mirrors the effect of a throttle, but yes, apparently not a deliberate throttle as had been mentioned previously by others.. Perhaps they were suffering from the same problem.

0 Ratings