cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 23

Re: Bt Engineers can't fix my broadband

OK sorry I don't know anything about it just what the engineer told me in person. So I didn't know how to spell it etc. 

I'm guessing there is no fix for this? 

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 23

Until recently unless the source of the REIN was located, no, but it would appear Openreach have developed a filter.

See https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,25062.msg420940.html#msg420940

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 23

Having many years of experience with radio interference, I doubt very much any form of filter is going to stop all interference, without it having a detrimental effect on the available bandwidth.

What can help is a filter which reduces interference which is picked up equally on both wires of a balanced pair, sometimes call longitudinal filters. These can be very effective on an ADSL connection where the bandwidth is limited, but would be difficult to implement on a VDSL connection without losing some of the available bandwidth.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 23

Would moving the router to a new location or changing the frequency help at all? 

I was wondering whether getting a better router would help but nobody from the bt can give me any exact answers to these questions nor do they know if it will help. 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 23

@Paxmin wrote:

Would moving the router to a new location or changing the frequency help at all? 

No, if it is REIN the interference can be anywhere between your house and the cabinet. Change what frequency? Its not a wifi problem.

I was wondering whether getting a better router would help but nobody from the bt can give me any exact answers to these questions nor do they know if it will help. 

Doubtful.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 23

@Paxmin wrote:

Not really, as whichever router you use, it will still be affected by the same interference.

What can help however, is a router which can be locked to a specific connection profile so its not affected by signals outside of its spectrum. The home hubs all have an open profile and will attempt to identify the correct profile automatically. This can mean that if the connection is lost due to interference, it take longer to reconnect.

The cheapest VDSL modem/router with this facility, is the TP Link TD-W9970  which is usually under £40 and can often be obtained locally at Argos but cheaper on Amazon £33.

Bear in mind that if you use wireless a lot, then this only has the 2.4GHz band.

This is another dual band option https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/archer-vr400/v2/

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 23

That's one of the biggest annoyances of the hub, you cannot fix a channel, it's on "smart" selection all the time.

I suspect I am a victim of this kind of issue too, but the Homehub actually copes better than the TP Link. 

OpenReach are due this week, so hopefully the fault will be found. 

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 23

Of course you can fix a channel if you wish. Smart is just one option, not the only option

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 23

No, I cannot. 

I have fixed the 5Ghz channel to 44 from (Smart 36) and it changes the wifi password to something unknown. 

You "should" be able to do it, but for some reason I cannot. 

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 23

@LeVzi 

I would factory reset your SH2 using recessed button on back and try selecting a specific channel for 2.4 and 5ghz.  remember to save before exit.  you should definitely be able to turn off auto select and choose a channel manually

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.