cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Fault Tracker issues

Hi

My broadband started cutting out earlier today and ever since my speed has been alot lower than normal. I raised a fault on the website and it says I need to log in and check the details but everytime I try to log in the fault tracker is constantly loading.

It might be a coincidence but I saw an openreach engineer out this morning looking at the telegraph pole opposite and talking to the neighbour. He left and about 2 hours later was when my issues started.

Ive had a steady 70mbps download for well over 12 months and 19mbps upload. Since earlier today its been 45-50mbps download but only 7mbps upload which is causing issues with work as it has been dropping out.

Anyone from BT on here able to help?

Thanks

Tony

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Fault Tracker issues

@TonyS82 

Welcome to this user forum.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Hi thanks. Ive tried that test. It does crackle and also sounds like white noise. Not sure if thats the cordless phones though. We dont use the home phone at all to make calls
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

@TonyS82 wrote:
Hi thanks. Ive tried that test. It does crackle and also sounds like white noise. Not sure if thats the cordless phones though. We dont use the home phone at all to make calls

Then that would be the cause of the speed loss.

You need to report a noisy phone line, difficulty in making calls, not a broadband fault.

Once the noisy phone line is fixed, the broadband will get better. Phone faults normally get fixed fairly quickly, but just broadband fault reports take much longer, as they are handled differently.

Message 5 of 12

Thats great. I'll report it now. Thank you
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

@TonyS82 wrote:
Thats great. I'll report it now. Thank you

Its possible that your connection at the top of the pole has been degraded, possibly by moisture.

A noisy line causes lots of errors which affects the overall performance of the network, so the equipment in the cabinet reduces your connection speed so that the errors are eliminated or reduced.

The noise will also cause your home hub to disconnect, and even restart.

Because phone lines are needed to make emergency calls, they tend to get fixed sooner.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Thanks I've reported the fault. BT are sending a Home Tech Expert. Does that sound right?
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

@TonyS82 wrote:
Thanks I've reported the fault. BT are sending a Home Tech Expert. Does that sound right?

No, that would be a  total waste of time. They need to hand the fault out to Openreach to repair the line.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

What can i do to make them do that?
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

@TonyS82 wrote:
What can i do to make them do that?

Did you follow the online process to report a landline fault?

https://support.bt.com/fix/landline/?view=landlinetroubleshooter

It asks you to choose an fault description and one of the options is poor quality phone calls, or something similar.

That will then run an automatic line test which may detect the issue. If it does not, then you can request a visit. You would be warned of a possible £85 charge if the fault is in your own wiring or equipment.

I assume you have already checked at the test socket on your master phone socket, to make sure the noise is still there?

If its still there, then follow the fault process to book a visit. It will then be passed to Openreach to deal.

0 Ratings