cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 27

Re: Fibre with Halo 1 reduced speeds

BT have a contract with Qube. All they can do is check the connection in the home. They cannot touch Openreach infrastructure.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 27

Yes, this sounds like what's happening. The guy had a BT ID Card.

I'll update again after Monday afternoon and hopefully Openreach will have done their thing.

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 27

Update as promised.

I had an email from BT saying the fault was fixed but in fact it isn't fixed and no Openreach engineer has appeared.

I called 151 and spoke to a faults adviser who said the Openreach Engineer booking placed by the BT Engineer on 6th Feb hadn't "gone through".

So a new Openreach Engineer appointment has now been booked for the afternoon of Wednesday 10th Feb.

The faults adviser was very apologetic and confirmed he could see that I wasn't getting the broadband speeds that I should be getting. He assured me the booking for the engineer on 10th Feb was definitely in the system.

I will provide another update after Wednesday.

Cheers, John

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 27

Further update, as promised.

The Openreach engineer has been to the house (13.00 10th Feb 2021), replaced the master socket with a more up-to-date one and said once the line has settled down I should be getting download speeds of 70Mbps and a lower ping time.

I have checked and currently (14.20 10th Feb 2021) I'm getting 62Mbps download (up from 55Mbps) and ping time to my London server of 11ms (down from 20ms).

This looks very promising but want to wait 24 hours to see if these improvement are sustained.

The Openreach engineer said there was "no fault in the copper from the house".

I'm pleased with how this is going now but I'm left wondering what the point of the visit from the BT engineer on 6th Feb was.

Will update same time tomorrow on whether network performance improvements have been sustained.

Cheers,

John

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 27

The network performance has been sustained over 24 hours. Hurrah!

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 27

Hopefully it is now fixed and not just for a few days

Thumbs up.png

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 27 of 27

I fully understand that  Halo is an add on, but this next part I cannot get my head round at all.

I am out of contract in June with my current Fibre with Halo 1, which when purchased in June 2020 quoted speeds of 36-61 Mbps download with a guaranteed speed of 30mbps. Over this period i have normally had download speeds of 44Mbps.

I have been looking at a new deal and ditching the Halo add on,  and according to the BT web site I can only get Fibre Essential or Fibre 1.  So Fibre 1 is really what I have had all the time anyway, therefore that would seem to be what I would go for. 

Back in January Fibre 1 was quoted at 40-50Mbps download (34 Mbps guarantee),  but now in March, the speed is given as 32-36 Mbps download (29Mbps guarantee)

How can this gobbledygook help customers of BT?  It's a minefield of confusion, especially when I rang up with various questions and was told that Fibre without Halo was always slower. A total lie !!!