cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Home Broadband connection speed halved since updated to VDSL

Go to solution

Hi

Our rural property is 2.5 km from exchange  and cabinets so we have long copper line connection.

Prior to late October this year we had a blisteringly fast  6-8 Mbps ASDL 2+ connection.....

My wife updated our broadband and her mobile contract with BT at that time.  

Resulting in Broadband Fibre 1 package.  We were also sent a Smart Hub 2.

I installed this and broadband speeds were still 6-8 mbps. We were told on 26th Oct the new contract would start and we might lose connection for a short while.

After this our connection has been averaging 3.5 Mbps.  I decided to wait to see if it would improve after a few weeks and the automatic firmware updates.

It didnt so recently i tried our old broadband router a few times, but it would never connect to broadband...

eventually i noticed on when connecting to the Smart Hub 2 Manager with ipad, that the connection type is listed as "Fibre Broadband (VDSL)".  My old router is ADSL so that explains why it no longer connects...

and i did some research and found for rural folks like us and 2.5km from cabinet/exchange that you can get poorer connection speeds with VDSL than the ADSL 2+ we had before.

is it possible to have our broadband connection changed back to ADSL 2+ and increase our broadband speed from 3.5 MBps back to 7 Mbps ????  since this VDSL is pretty limiting and impacting my working from home experience.

Thank you 

Charles Cook

AndyCook_00_0-1610530321890.png

AndyCook_00_0-1610530399682.pngAndyCook_00_1-1610530461865.png

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Home Broadband connection speed halved since updated to VDSL

Go to solution

have you tried phoning CS and asking to cancel the Fibre 1 upgrade and revert back to adsl2?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

not yet - I was hoping to achieve that via the mods on this community. never had much luck with help from CS on phone in past...

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

you need to try CS first and if no success then mods may be able to help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

OK - thank you I will have a go

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Spoke with CS and the representative understood the issue and spoke with manager, they are proposing move back to ADSL copper connection, so fingers X the infrastructure allows this. He did say BT are making a push to move people from ADSL copper to the fibre. But obviously at the moment the fibre VDSL option is slower than ADSL, since is still uses the same 2.5km of copper to reach our property...

maybe one day we will get fibre cabinets closer to use....

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Broadband connection reverted back to ADSL2+ this morning and speeds 2x faster than they have been last few months.