cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

How to change an IP address on HH2

I’ve been having terrible trouble with a Sky Q (plus a mini box) and Sonos regularly dropping out over my BT network. 

I have FTTP and don’t believe speed or signal strength to be an issue. 

My latest attempt at a solution has been to fix static IP addresses to some (maybe in time all) of my main devices.  This was simple enough on Sky as you can do it from the boxes. 

However I am unable to change the IP address for the Sonos devices within my Hub Manager - I am wondering if I’ve missed something very simple!? They are set to static (I didn’t change that?) but I cannot get them off static and/or enter a new location. 

Any help is much appreciated. 

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: How to change an IP address on HH2

'Static' IP addresses can only be set on the devices themselves, address reservation is set on the hub. Address reservation means that the device is always allocated the same IP address by DHCP, this is often erroneously referred to as static addressing.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

That is helpful to know, thank you. 

As they are Sonos devices, you cannot set an IP address within the device so I guess my question is “how do I reserve specific IP addresses” for my Sonos devices?

And if necessary how do I get them off static and back to DCHP? (May be a question for Sonos I appreciate). 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

If you cannot set the address on the Sonos, it will always be using DHCP. In advanced network settings just select 'always use this address' for the device in question to reserve the address.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

I would suggest that you change the hub 5ghz network channel to manual and select another channel from 36 as that is used by the SKYQ BOX

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 7

The channel change was something I changed a while ago after reading another post - I've amended them again just i case so have channel 6 and 44 selected for 2.4 and 5 respectively.

Strangely the issue I had with assigning/reserving IP addresses has happened again this morning as follows:

I can see all the Sonos devices, all say "DHCP" next to the IP address in the address table;

Tried to change IP address and select "Always use this address" select save;

Action says it is saved but doesn't seem to retain the information;

Then all of a sudden the Sonos devices say "Static" and the IP cannot be changed.

Any idea what is happening or why this is going on?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Just ignore what the network map shows on the hub, it is a total mess. I doubt IP addresses are the source of your problems.

0 Ratings