cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 41

Line profiles still not improved 3 weeks after the power outrages & storm

Hello, I have two ADSL lines to my house - one for work from home and the other for household since the speed we were getting around 3.5-4 Mbps on average, they have been very solid in the past few years.

On the 1st week of July, I had a couple of power outrages in the same week and one of them was due to the bad storm.  One line was still down afterwards and it turned out the my TP-Link router was fried so I replaced it with a new one. However, both lines were very slow, down to crawling speed of something like 0.7 Mbps and eventually the 2nd line went dead, regardless of any router I tried including the BT Smart Hub so I called the BT on 6th July and the engineer came on 10th July. However the line somehow came back to working again on that morning before the engineer came.  The engineer said that both lines seem ok and she has replaced the master socket for 2nd line and left.

I read somewhere on this BT forum that it can takes weeks for the line profile to return to normal but 3 weeks later, both lines are still running much less than 1 Mbps.

So my line profiles still have not yet restored? That was all down to the power outrages and storm.

0 Ratings
40 REPLIES 40
Message 2 of 41

Re: Line profiles still not improved 3 weeks after the power outrages & storm

are both lines residential even though one for work?

can you check for line noise by dialling 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

can you post stats from the BT Hub please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 41

Both lines are residential although they are only for internet data. No voice calls or fax whatsoever.  I don't have a corded phone since I'm deaf.  The engineer said the lines were looking fine.

I'm using 3rd party router but would the stats from them do or do you still need me to plug in the smart hub?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 41

try posting connection stats from router

is your internet connection package broadband only or with phone just you don't use the phone?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 41

I use broadband only packages. No phone calls etc so only the routers are connected directly to the master sockets next to them.

1st Line where the old router was fried:

1st line.png

2nd Line (two pictures - one short and one long) where ADSL went dead and its master socket was replaced:

2nd line pic A.png

2nd line pic B.png

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 41

how do both lines connect - separate master sockets

your stats are terrible     are you able to connect to the test socket which is behind the faceplate.  you will need a filter to use test socket and connect cable from router to filter and repost stats please

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 41

Yes I have two master sockets sitting next to each other.

Took both faceplates off and connect each one with BT filter.

1st Line - seemed to be returned to normal

Line 1 new.png

2nd Line - the rate seemed to have increased although still struck at 288 kbps

Line 2 new.png

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 41

The first line now looks ok.  I assume the master is one with 2 outlets - broadband and phone - and no filter needed

the second master is the same but your down speed is stuck in a banded profile due to the disconnections but this should now correct itself in 5/7 days stable connection

it is possible the master faceplates are faulty but both seems unlikely.  you need to make sure the faceplates are clipped on tightly as the can become detached and cause connection problems

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/FTTC-DLM-What-it-is-How-it-works/ba-p/1322799

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 41

Yes both master sockets have two outlets.

Even though the router stats for 2nd line is showing 288 Kbps but somehow the speedtest is showing just over 3 Mbps!  Seems the router stats is incorrect even though I refreshed the page.

Seems all is well now so shall I plug the faceplates back on?

UPDATED: Spoke too soon, although I haven't put the faceplates back on.  I found the 2nd router that did not have ADSL2+ enabled although ADSL2 was already on so I enabled it and then it got re-synced, got slightly higher rate and the profile is still with 288 Kbps. However, the speed back to very slow again.  Seemed to be a glitch with DLM?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 41

you need to try and maintain a stable connection and DLM will release banding and speed will increase

I would stay in test socket for a few days let line stabilise and keep DLM happy

0 Ratings