cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 33

Re: Location of the internal ONT

Go to solution

Yes I know.  I used to be a telecoms engineer myself a long time ago.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 33

Go to solution

I've found a suitable aerial faceplate on Amazon that the engineer can use (when the aerial connection part has been removed) to cover the pattress box in the wall once the master socket has been completely removed. I've already removed the front part myself and discarded it as Plusnet cut me off a few days ago, so I have no need of it now as I shall be using my new Gigaset cordless phones with a Sipgate account, which was already up and running until Plusnet terminated my broadband and phone line without warning. I'm currently using the BT Mini Hub which they have kindly provided for me until my FTTP service goes live on 24th December.

Can you tell me the diameter of the small round plastic thingy in the photograph as I'll need to order some suitably-sized circular sticky pads for the engineer to stick it to the new faceplate?

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 33

Go to solution

You are assuming the engineer will have an internal cover with him. They don't always due to stocking issues. Additionally the engineers don't normally renove the master socket although may do so on request, especially if (as in your case) it makes install easier.

I suppose it boils down to if you get an Openreach enginner or a contractor. let us know how you get on.

BTW double sided tape may be better than pads.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 33

Go to solution

Not sure what you mean by an "internal cover". Also, I've just noticed that I put the wrong date in my last post. It should have said 14th December, so just over two weeks from now. I'll update this thread with some photographs once the work has been done.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 33

Go to solution

The white cap on the wall from which the fibre optic cable emerges as seen on the photo posted earlier..

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 33

Go to solution

There is a case available for the ONT that allow it to fit over the existing pattress box. Officially they are only available new build properties, but you might be able to source one.

See page 4 of the following

https://www.openreach.com/content/dam/openreach/openreach-dam-files/images/fibre-broadband/fibre-for...

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 33

Go to solution

Most Service Delivery Engineers don’t carry them and they’re supposed to be put in on Greenfield Sites only.

Saying that though Openreach pay the Developer to install them so it’s virtually guaranteed any over ordered stock will eventually find its way onto Internet Sale Sites.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 33

Go to solution

Having checked the situation behind the BT master socket, I’ve come to the conclusion that to use that for the new FTTP installation, my assumption that it would have been easy to pull the new fibre cable through with the existing copper wires cable would not be the case. For one reason, when they installed the metal back box in the wall, they wrapped the cable around the metal box and cemented it in. Also, without actually removing the back box, it would not be possible to tell how the copper wires cable had been run and it now seems highly likely that even if the metal back box were removed to release the cable, it would still not be possible to use it as a pull wire for the new fibre-optic cable. So, with that in mind, I have taken out the BT master socket and put a plastic blanking plate over it. I’m going to ask the engineer to run the fibre-optic cable under the front door and into the immediately adjacent outside storage cupboard and from there to drill a hole through the wall to bring the fibre-optic cable close to where the BT master socket was previously located. With that in mind, I have run my new Cat 7 Ethernet cable from that point to where my ASUS RT-AX88U router is located on the first-floor landing. I’ve made a sketch of how I think this will work, but I’ll post a photograph of the finished job once the engineer has been.

Proposed ONT location.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 33

Go to solution

Looks good. Having a customer who has given some thought to things is always good for the engineers. If you wish you could drill the hole yourself.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 33

Go to solution

Thanks for confirming I am on the right track. I may have considered drilling the hole myself but I recently tripped up the top of the stairs, crashing my right shoulder into a bedroom door frame, which has resulted in a fracture to my collar bone and my having to keep my arm in a sling.

0 Ratings