cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: Master Socket 5C

Go to solution

@scotcycle wrote:

All three extensions are dead with and without the faceplate. Without the faceplate there isn't a connection between the line in and the extensions. But they're all dead anyway. The phone still works when inseerted into the test socket behind the faceplate. When I installed my new Master Socket 5C this afternoon I was careful to make all the connections exactly the same as I found them.

Then you have a short circuit on one of your extensions, and that is looping the line and causing the problem. If you called your home number, it would be busy all the time.

Disconnect the extensions, and the fault will be fixed. That was most likely the problem from the start.

If you need to use the extensions, then you will have to find the fault, possibly a damaged cable.

Message 12 of 16

Go to solution

Keith, thank you for telling me what I feared was the case. How the fault occured, I don't know, as all the extension cables are within the walls, having been installed, I'm fairly sure, when the house was built 30 years ago. I'll have to ponder what to do about it.

Thanks also to Licquorice and IMJolly for offering me sage advice.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 16

Go to solution

@scotcycle wrote:

Keith, thank you for telling me what I feared was the case. How the fault occured, I don't know, as all the extension cables are within the walls, having been installed, I'm fairly sure, when the house was built 30 years ago. I'll have to ponder what to do about it.

Thanks also to Licquorice and IMJolly for offering me sage advice.

They will be connected to the phone terminals on the master socket 5C, so start by removing them, and your phone should then work in the master socket.

Capture.JPG

You will then have to find the fault in the extensions, or simply leave them disconnected.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 16

Go to solution

Thanks for the advice about disconnecting the internal extensions. I was only using one of them anyway (for the base unit of my answerphone/3 wireless extension system). I have now moved my base unit to the master socket 5C and put one of the wireless extensions where it used to be. Temporarily I have plugged in to the test socket behind the faceplate and all works well. I shall now take out the connection to the extension system so that I can put back the faceplate. I will not try to mend the old extension system. Alls well that ends well, largely thanks to your help.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 16

Go to solution

Good morning,

How lucky was I to find this post !

my landline had been down for months, according to my mother in law , who is the only person to use our landline. She normally FaceTimes tbh.

anyway, I was just about to buy a new c5 to get the front plate, as I could get connection from the inside socket, when I found the thread.

I found an old phone extension socket which had been used as part of an alarm system years ago.

Disconnect both wires…………. Job done.       THANK YOU 

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

Go to solution

So, are your problems now solved? 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.