cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Neighbour/ relocating telephone box

My neighbour is having an extension built soon. He wants the telephone box ( not sure if the technical term) moved to the front of my property. The telephone cables run under the ground into this box. 
it’s owned by open reach/ he’s with sky and I’m with BT. I have no issue with the box being moved.

hes informed me if open reach fail to deal with this he’s going to drill a hole into the wall and through my kitchen and rewire the line.???? This is not happening. 

so far BT and open reach can’t help. My neighbour is relying on me to resolve this but I’m not the one having the extension. So surely I cannot be expected to pay for it. And isint it an offence if my neighbour decides to move the box himself?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Neighbour/ relocating telephone box

@Blonid55 

Your neighbour would need to contact Sky, and request a shift of the external connection. Sky would pass that to Openreach, who would raise a charge which would be passed back to Sky, who would the charge your neighbour.

Not sure wat the charge would be, but BT Retail charge about £130.

The other option would be for the neighbour to contact Openreach direct, and request a relocation of the network.

https://www.openreach.com/network-services/altering-our-network

It depends on how much work is involved.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

It is not your responsibility to have it moved if it is on your property and it is your neighbour who wants it moved. It is entirely the responsibility of  your neighbour to ensure that it is safely and correctly moved if required and to meet any costs in doing this. He does not have any legal right to enter your property to carry this out. 

It is not against any law for the person to move the box however should he not do it to the correct standard, Openreach would undoubtedly bill him for correcting any work incorrectly carried out.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

If the ‘telephone box’, which I assume is the Capping 101a and or BT66b given it’s coming from Underground is on your property why does your neighbour need it moving when the Extension being built is on his property?

As Keith posted your neighbour would need to use that link to contact Openreach about Altering their Network, which your Neighbour would have to pay for, how much I don’t know, a Survey Officer/Planner would cost it up after checking what work needs to be done and by who. Usually work on Private Land can be done by the person requesting the work but any work on public land would have to be done by Openreach and or their approved Contractors.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

It’s attached to the side wall of my extension but on my neighbours boundary/ if that makes sense. The cables run under his garden.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

So if my neighbour moves the box and something happens to my internet phone like- who is responsible. Bearing in mind I work from home to.

Also no way is he drilling a hole into my kitchen to re route the line. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

@Blonid55wrote:

hes informed me if open reach fail to deal with this he’s going to drill a hole into the wall and through my kitchen and rewire the line.???? This is not happening. 

Of course, it isn't going to happen. There is NO way this neighbour can be allowed to drill a hole through your wall and into your kitchen. Seems your neighbour feels he/she is entitled. He/she should be driving this, obtaining a solution from Sky/OpenReach and then checking with you that the offered solution is acceptable.

It is good that your reservations have been recorded on the forum just in case your neighbour should lose touch with reality.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

I think he may have fed me some lies informing me that open reach said I needed to speak to BT and request this change. I had no idea at the time he could request this change via sky himself and they in turn would contact open reach. More fool me!
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

It would be a waste of time going through Sky. The only thing they’d be able to arrange is a Lift and Shift of the NTE, basically just moving the Master Socket.

As it’s the Network outside that needs altering it would need to be raised directly with Openreach via the link Keith posted.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

Thanks. I’ve already done thins on behalf of my neighbour who informs me he has no computer and can’t understand them.

0 Ratings