cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

No Broadband Connection

Go to solution

Hi, at some point in the early hours of this morning our BT Home Hub 5 dropped its broadband connection and hasn’t reconnected all day.

Just sitting with solid orange light, occasionally flashes orange for but then goes back to solid orange.

Phone line is fine.

Everything has been working fine for over a year now since we moved in. 

I've done the basics like switch off for a few mins, factory reset, changed adsl cable and removed faceplate / splitter from master socket and used a splitter / filter on test socket.

Just the same, phone line fine, broadband no go.

Quiet test is okay.

I called BT and no issues in area reported.

Will be a while before an engineer can come out.

Still nothing all day, I had a look at hub logs and only thing I could see was a “PPP LCP Send Termination Request” request around 6am which could be when it all disconnected.

Any advise / thoughts?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: No Broadband Connection

Go to solution

@SmilerAS 

As you have posted on the ADSL board, I assume you just have a normal ADSL connection and not fibre, as I am wondering why you are using a home hub 5 on ADSL, and not a home hub 4?

Did you check that your phone number was correct, just in case you have a crossed line.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

It’s def Home Hub 5, checked the bottom of it just now to be sure.

We got it from BT about 3 or 4 years ago and when we moved house 1 year ago we were told to reuse it and has been fine for the last year until this morning.

The master socket is master socket 5C in the house which has two sockets, one to phone then the other an adsl cable to the hub. 

We typically get around 20mb download speed, not epic but does us fine for the last year. 

Our BT package is Fibre 1 which we set up in Oct 2019 with BT. That’s what BT advised best. I think we hoped that fibre was going to be available soon so we would be ready for it when it was available but sadly nothing yet on that front.

Our postcode gives mixed results on internet speed as the same street has houses from early 80’s then newer house when the street was extended in the late 90’s (I believe they have great fibre speed).

Dialled my home phone to my mobile and correct home number came up.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@SmilerASwrote:

It’s def Home Hub 5, checked the bottom of it just now to be sure.

Our BT package is Fibre 1 which we set up in Oct 2019 with BT. That’s what BT advised best. I think we hoped that fibre was going to be available soon so we would be ready for it when it was available but sadly nothing yet on that front.

So you DO have a fibre package rather than ADSL? Are you confusing FTTC (to the cabinet)and FTTP (to the premises)?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Hi, 

sorry yeh, would it be fibre to cabinet?

then coming into premises / house it’s the older style 2 copper wires in the black wire from pole.

Sorry, I thought that was ADSL as that’s the type coming into premises / house.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Update:

Weirdly at back of 4am this morning, I heard our Amazon Echo give a little alert noise to say wi fi connected.

Just popped downstairs and got blue light and connection on hub.

Looks like devices connected back up and and decent (for here before anyone laughs) 28mbps download speed test.

If any help, hub troubleshooting log:

04:25:44, 06 Nov.CWMP: HDM socket closed successfully.
04:25:44, 06 Nov.CWMP: HTTP authentication success from pbthdm.x.x.x

Lets hope it’s all back and stays on. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @SmilerAS

Thank you for posting back. I'm happy to hear your connection has been restored. With what you had posted it does sound like it was a network fault.

Keep an eye on your connection and if the problem returns, please post back.

Thanks

Paddy

Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

BT Engineer turned up, he done some testing at our master socket and green box along the road and there is (I think this was his words) an earthing fault registering 4000 which can be up to 30000. Not sure what that means but he is currently up the pole in neighbours garden. At least it’s a nice bright calm day for him. 

0 Ratings