cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Ping on all copper ADSL connection

Hi ,

So I am going to move into a place with an internet connection that doesn't seem to be the fastest... (And no fibre is unfortunately not an option right now 😞 )

So it is an ADSL connection provided by BT.

As far as I can gather from various websites I will live 3-4 km from the nearest BT exchange. The connection is an ADSL all copper wire, so copper from my house to the street cabinet and then copper to the BT exchange also. BT tells me I will have a speed of 2-5 Mbps with 1 Mbps guaranteed. It is in a medium sized city.

So for download it will be quite slow. And I might get a 4G connection for YouTube, streaming and whatnot. But it might be good enough for gaming if I only have one wired device on this connection. So does anyone have experience with playing CSGO with a connection like this? And how is the latency/ping and the performance in general?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Ping on all copper ADSL connection

If I go on broadbandchecker I get the following:

lo22_0-1658412799962.png

So first of all what does the range of 2-6 Mbps for download mean? That if only attach one device to the router, I can expect speed of around 6 Mbps, but then the more devices I attach or use, the average speed will go down?

And what about latency for this connection? Can I get a sense of that somehow?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

your actual connection speed  BT expect to be in the range of 2/6 mb and only after connected will you know the actual speed.  the connection speed is the same regardless of number of devices as it is the speed at BT hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 10

And what about latency? Can I get someone of an estimate what it would be to different places in Europe?

And for a game like CSGO for example?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

you need to get connected first as every line is different

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 10

Is there some way I can find out the distance of the cable from my home to the BT exchange?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

there is no definitive way to find distance if most of cable underground as the cable never runs in straight lines

from you adsl expected speed  shown by dslchecker i would think rough estimate about 4km

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

So I was granted access to the helpdesk report of the BT Home Hub 4, and it provides the following key numbers:

Data Rate: 448 / 3360
Maximum Data Rate: 1096 / 3672

Noise Margin: 20.0 / 9.1

Line Attenuation: 31.5 / 50.0

Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 50.0

Latency type: Interleaved

So the upload is pretty dismal...

0. Is the maximum data rate, the theoretical obtainable speed with this connection?
1. Is there any way of improving the upload? I mean by reducing the line attenuation?
2. Does line attenuation only relate to the transfer speed of the connection or does it also affect latency? 
3. And is there some way of finding out the depth of interleaving?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

@lo22 

Your upload speed could be improved by regrading to ADSL2+, that can also improve the download speed, if your line has sufficient higher frequency response.

A moderator may be able to help with this.

Message 10 of 10

Hi @lo22, I've sent you a Private Message so you can get in touch with us and we'll be happy to see if we can help improve your connection.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings