cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 18

Re: Poor reception

BT Sport is delivered via your broadband. The other channels are via your TV aerial. They'll be unrelated issues, unless there's something environmental affecting signals for both.
BT Sport on Talk Talk will be the exact same stream, so I'd expect the same experience. TV channels via your TV aerial will be the same unless you choose satellite or cable TV.
0 Ratings
Message 12 of 18

We live in a rural area and do not have access to cable. Our aerial was installed through BT when we took up our contract. The TV is an LG Smart TV which was a sign up “gift” as part of the BT package. I do wonder if the aerial should have some kind of booster fitted as mine is at a much lower height to my neighbours.

I am not  convinced that the quality of the YouView box is all it should be although I accept that the strength of the wi-fi signal might also be an issue.

I have previously enquired about the possibility of having the master BT box moved to enable the TV and router to be connected by Ethernet cable but the cost quoted by BT is too expensive.

Regards;

David

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 18

I think (expecting to be corrected) that the older BT YouView boxes have weaker TV tuners than some others - so I can't receive some of the MUX7/8 channels that I can on another box.

On internet channels, I do think it worth getting a wired connection for TV.  Recently I installed a 20metre cable (big stone house) which took TV from a wobbly 16-20Mbs wi-fi signal to a rock steady 63Mbs - enabling UHD 4k TV.  So I watched BBC iPlayer - "A Very British Scandal" in exquisite UHD detail, and wished I hadn't.

No technical knowledge needed, just crawl round the house with a cable: £10.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 18

Thanks for the suggestion but the cable would need to be at least double that length, (we live in a long narrow bungalow) and dragged the length of the house through the attic, something I am not in a fit physical condition to be able to do.

The easier solution would be for BT to move their master socket from the front of the house, (a bedroom), to the rear, (the lounge). Unfortunately, not only do they seem reluctant to do the job but will charge an exorbitant amount if they did.

Regards;

David.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 18

moving the master socket is done by openreach not BT Retail  you could check local directory and get probably an ex openreach employee to move the master for you and I expect cheaper than openreach

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 16 of 18

Adding an ethernet lead from the master socket is not, in any way, a technical job.  It is a job a local electrician/general handyman could do, if need be by going round the outside of the house.   The cable I used was waterproof and robust as it had to go under the house, up through a void and then across an upper floor.  It took me an hour, but I'm 72 which slowed things  bit. 

General handymen/ladies do this all the time.  The average local 16 year old can do that without having to think.  Plenty of people here have trouble holding back their offspring from rewiring their systems.

Expect to pay £100 and get it done in a week.  Ask OpenReach to move a master socket and you could be waiting many months.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 18

Tried that with a couple of chaps. Both said BT take a very small view of their equipment being “tampered” with and wouldn’t do it.

Regards;

David.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 18

I wasn't at all suggesting moving the master box - for which the OR punishment is capital. 

I'm suggesting you plug into the box as you do already and run a longer lead from there.  You could put the HH at the other end. 

You do the plugging (as you are entitled to do), pay a lad to do the laying and when he's gone you plug in.  Bob's your junction.

0 Ratings