cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Poor upload speed

Hi,

We have Fibre 1 broadband plan. When we signed up we were quoted normal available download speed between 19-36 and upload speed between 5-7. We have no problem with the download speed which normally sits between 20-30. The issue we have is with our upload speed which I have never seen go above 1.5 but it’s normally much lower. I work from home and am required to join meetings several times a day over Microsoft Teams and this is proving difficult with my upload speed. Even when I turn off my camera I’m still getting messages saying bad network connection. My PC is a wired connection to the hub so it’s not a Wi-fi issue. Is there anything that can be done? I’m pretty sure the issue is not in our house. I think it’s the speeds between our house and the cabinet. I know you only get a guaranteed download speed but upload is also important. If I try to upload a video or even some photos to the cloud our download speed is non-existent. This is affecting my work and with no signs of returning to the office this is a really important issue. Can anyone offer any tips. BT suggested resetting the hub but that didn’t help and I don’t think it’s a hub issue anyway. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Poor upload speed

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results must be done with ethernet connection

https://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

C67F50BB-532B-4AC9-BF53-AFB3BD05130B.pngE4A3F71E-A18C-4459-A073-FB3359F5BFA7.jpegE995B69F-52C2-4BAD-A7E7-6313080DEFC6.jpegI have tried the quiet line test with a corded phone and this is fine. I’ll go now and run a speed test and post the results shortly

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

This is our speed test resultsC6EC6AA5-818C-4849-8252-95D7596AA0C2.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

according to dslchecker results your up speed should be between  8 and 6mb not the poor 1.1mb shown in the hub.  have you tried a factory reset by pressing the recessed button on back and holding 20/30 secs until lights flash.  if you try this remember to turn off smart setup in hub manager

if that does not improve you up speed then you need to phone 150 and get broadband engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 9

Thanks @imjolly 

I’ve carried out a factory reset and unfortunately it hasn’t made any difference. I’ll contact BT now. I spoke to them recently about my upload speed when I called to report a line fault for our phone (which has been fixed) and they didn’t seem to be too interested in upload speed as download is fine. I’ll try again though. 

Thanks for all of your help 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@PurpleLady56 

if you don't make any progress with CS then please post back

Message 8 of 9

I have had problems a couple of times in the past when I had absolutely no upload at all - both times it was due to network problems further up the line. On both occasions the response I got from BT Broadband Fault's was "we don't guarantee upload", (note upload, not upload speed). I had to explain to them how the internet works - that without any upload at all, you cannot request things to download! 🙄

The last time this happened was not that long ago. Maybe BT should give their Faults people a quick lesson on the workings of the internet? 🤔

I would have complained, but I didn't have any upload to send an email 😤 !

Message 9 of 9

@imjolly  @Paul608085 

I called BT and got a lovely lady who didn’t just say upload speed isn’t guaranteed and ran a check on the line for me. It turns out there is a fault showing on our line so she’s arranged an engineer visit. The first I could get is 2 March but hopefully the engineer will be able to do something for us 😊

I do think BT do need to revisit their stance on upload speed. As you say without upload we can’t download. If we ever try to upload any photos to the cloud or sync one drive our connection grinds to a halt and everything shows as having no internet connection at all. I don’t see how they can consider that acceptable. 

Thanks for your advice and support. 

0 Ratings