cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

Replacement Hub/Router

I have a BT Home Hub 5, and I am frequently losing Internet access..  

How can I get a replacement from BT?

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Re: Replacement Hub/Router

@xxdiddiexx 

Are you sure its the home hub 5 causing the issue, and not a problem with your phone line?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 21

How would I know that?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

@xxdiddiexx wrote:

How would I know that?

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Do the lights on the home hub 5 change colour when you get disconnected?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 21

OK. So no noise on the quiet lune test

And yes the router cycles between orange, green, blue.  When it stays on orange I unplug it, reset it and sometimes it returns to normal and sometimes it doesn't.  

It is getting annoying now.  I WFH and missed an important call this morning because it went down 5 mins before the call. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

@xxdiddiexx wrote:

OK. So no noise on the quiet lune test

And yes the router cycles between orange, green, blue.  When it stays on orange I unplug it, reset it and sometimes it returns to normal and sometimes it doesn't.  

It is getting annoying now.  I WFH and missed an important call this morning because it went down 5 mins before the call. 

What does your master phone socket look like, as you may be getting disconnections?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegKeith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

20210119_153347.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

@xxdiddiexx wrote:

20210119_153347.jpg

That does not look like your master socket, its looks more like an extension socket. The problem is that you need to be able to locate the master Openreach socket, which would look like one of the ones in my picture. I also cannot see your phone plugged into the microfilter, so where is the phone plugged in?

Behind the master socket would be the test socket where you would need to plug in the microfilter instead. If you still get disconnections at the test socket, then that would indicate an external fault.

As it is, the problem may be between the master socket and the extensions.

As for a check of the home hub, have you tried a full factory reset of the home hub, just in case the internal configuration is corrupted?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

It would be unusual for a home hub to give problems as you describe, as the usually just fail to work. Most problems are caused by bad connections or issues with the line.

If you have done all of the checks, and are still sure its the home hub that is faulty, then provided you are still in a contract, you can ask BT to send another home hub. All replacements are now just loaned, and need to be returned if you leave BT.

If you are not in a contract, and do not want to renew it, then you can obtain a suitable third party router locally, for about £35.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

Youre right. There has another socket but it is behind a cupboard... 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

@xxdiddiexx wrote:

Youre right. There has another socket but it is behind a cupboard... 

It may be a bit bit tricky, but that socket would normally have a removable front section where the extension wires would connect. That front section plugs into the test socket at the back, and its quite common for the two parts to make a bad connection which affects the broadband.

Also, the latest socket, number 7 on my picture, has a clip on front, and that is known to give problems.

Its important to check at the test socket, because if it is a bad connection, then changing the home hub would not help. Also, if you request a visit, and Openreach prove the fault to your own wiring, you would be charged £85.

0 Ratings