cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 31

Router fault has caused DLM to reduce line speed by 50%. How can I get this reset quickly?

So last night a new firmware version was pushed to my router, which ultimately bricked the router. After trying to resolve the issue with the router for a couple of hours (A deep dive into tftp, 30/30/30 resets, etc) I decided to give up and purchased a new router/modem.

With the new router everything is working as it should. But the line speed has dropped drastically. After some troubleshooting I think I've ruled everything out aside from DLM. I've had similar issues in the past where a router fault caused DLM to detect dropouts and reduce line speed.

Now that everything is up and running again. What's the best way for me to request a DLM reset given current circumstances? Online chat isn't available and I'm unsure whether phone support will be able to help me.

Any recommendations would be great!

Thank you

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31

Re: Router fault has caused DLM to reduce line speed by 50%. How can I get this reset quickly?

the router should recover speed in a few weeks if the connection remains stable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 31

Re: Router fault has caused DLM to reduce line speed by 50%. How can I get this reset quickly?

A few weeks is quite a long time! Particularly given that I'm working from home right now due to Covid. I know engineers are able to perform a DLM reset but it seems it might be possible remotely? I'm wondering who might be best to contact.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 31

Engineers can't perform a reset themselves, they can only request one, and then only after having cleared a line fault.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 31

A few years ago I had a similar issue with a router causing DLM to kick in. I had an engineer in the property, explained the issue to them, and right then and there they requested the DLM reset and I had my speed instantly restored... 

Is this still my only option? I'm assuming getting an engineer visit is very difficult right now

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 31

If you line hasn't been banded, it shouldn't take too long for DLM  to relent. You can tell if you have been banded as your speed will be at a round figure rather than some random speed.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 31

Sadly it's been almost exactly halved. It's hard capped at 25mbit on a bt infinity 2 plan. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 31

But is it exactly 25.0 or a random figure? I don't think 25M is a band profile in any case, it would be either 20.0 or 27.4

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 31

My router conducting a speed test (via speedtest.net / google) is reporting precisely 25mbit down and 1mbit up. These don't match the line speeds reported by the router, which are below:

Capture.PNG

Quick edit:

I know the noise values here aren't ideal. But I've been getting 50mbit for years with zero issues. The only thing that's changed is the router bricking and causing a ton of disconnects on trying to fix its firmware. Also this is a new router obviously, but I can't see any reason why it would reduce bandwidth by 50%. It's an Archer VR2800 if anyone has any ideas there.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 31

Of course not, download speed will always be lower than sync speed due to protocol overheads. Looking at your stats, you have a 3dB noise margin, therefore DLM is perfectly happy with your line and hasn't reduced your speed. you are getting your maximum speed possible.

0 Ratings