cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Scam Caller

Go to solution

I’ve just had a scam call from 02036300793, I knew immediately what it was. After a little banter the caller hung-up which was not unexpected.  However, a very short time after I had a text message with an 8 digit two factor authentication code which I didn’t generate myself.  Now I suspect this was generated by the scammer somehow but wonder how. My password is very strong and unique to my BT account.  I used to work in IT security so all my passwords are very strong and unique to each account, so how could this scammer generate a two factor code without my password. Just a tad concerning; still the password has now been changed just to make sure.  Interesting also that the two factor code text message only states, “If you didn’t request this , don’t worry, but you might want to change your password”. Why “might”, surely this suggests the system may generate text messages without the correct password!  Food for thought.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Scam Caller

Go to solution

By using your email address and going through the forgotten password route the system will generate a one time pass code. The scammer then tries to get this from you by pretending he is genuine. He can then change your password and access your account.

Message 3 of 3

Re: Scam Caller

Go to solution

Thanks for that, hadn't considered that option to get a code. Still they wasted their time anyway😂

0 Ratings