cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Signed up for 900mbps (Smart Hub 2)but getting 14~30mbps

Go to solution

Hi all

I signed up for 900 mbps but I am not getting  even a quarter of that speed in my house for none of my equipemnts. I rang BT in different occasions  two agents found that indeed there is a fault which is causing the slow speed and the Enginner would investigate the fibre line first outside the property then if necessary inside the property.

First engineer came and his laptop showed 920 mbps straight away but my gadgets show 14, 20 max 30 mbps. Second time rang again a new agent ran a speed test and found out  that my speed was low indeed again .  Engineers visited again and  the same story above repeats. 

has anybody here got Any ideas Of what is occurring ? I am not getting the speed I am signed up and paying for.

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Signed up for 900mbps (Smart Hub 2)but getting 14~30mbps

Go to solution

Hi,

900Mbps will be the speed that is to your router. Depending on the devices you're using and the way you're connected, it's likely your devices won't be able to render those speed ranges. You would need to test with a laptop/PC connected directly to your router with an ethernet cable and disconnect your other wireless devices for an accurate speed to the device. 

Most wireless devices, apart from the newer models of smart phones, etc. will have older wireless technology built in so you'll never see 900Mbps speeds on them. What devices are you using? Assuming they're connected wirelessly?

Also, go to your smart hub manager by typing: 192.168.1.254 in to your browser. Then go in to 'Status' and what does it show for your downstream sync speed?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

@LeicesterFoxThe status page will show 1000mbps, the speed between the ONT and hub.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Hopefully he does. That will address his comments that he's not getting the speed he's paying for - that was the reason for my suggestion.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

@LeicesterFoxI don't think you get it. The link speed between the ONT and hub will always be 1000mbps. The speed from headend to ONT could be 10mbps (extreme example) but the staus page will still show 1000mbps, it will never change.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

@Edu17Mrnt2020  you'll be getting 900mbps to your hub whatever speed you get on your devices is down to the hardware installed in your devices. Also, WiFi speeds will also vary depending on interference etc 

Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply.

My device is Samsung A51 =14 mbps 

HP laptop= 100mbps wired connected whilst the rest other devices off WiFi .

You mean WAn link speed. If so,  it shows 1000Mbps

From what I can understand. BT Then mislead customers by not mentioning that 900 mbps only work in latest tech equipment. Or is this written on the "terms and condition" list?

Thanks, 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

@Edu17Mrnt2020wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

My device is Samsung A51 =14 mbps 

HP laptop= 100mbps wired connected whilst the rest other devices off WiFi .

You mean WAn link speed. If so,  it shows 1000Mbps

From what I can understand. BT Then mislead customers by not mentioning that 900 mbps only work in latest tech equipment. Or is this written on the "terms and condition" list?

Thanks, 

It would work on my 15yr old desktop so it doesn't need the latest tech equipment. What result do you get from THIS speddtest with a wired connection?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

@Edu17Mrnt2020 BT hasn't misled anyone. They aren't responsible for the hardware in your devices, they are only responsible for delivering the connection to your hub which they have done. 

If the ethernet card in your pc will only handle 100mbps, that's all you will get. My wife's will only handle 30mbps but my work one has a gigabit ethernet card so in theory I'd get the maximum my broadband can deliver except I don't because the other parts of the hardware can't process the data fast enough so it tops out at 130mbps

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

40 mbp wired with other equippent hooked to WiFi as well

0 Ratings