cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Slow WiFi speed

Hello,

First time posting.

I have BT Full Fibre with a supposed speed of over 100mb. I am having troubles receiving this speed. I have even changed to a TP Link modem and this hasn’t helped. 
When I do a speed test tk the modem, it is getting a very good speed from the line, 130mb and 30mb upload. However when I stand next to the modem with a device connected to WiFi it’s less than 50mb. Any solution to this? I have tried the BT original modem and the same problem is now happening with the TP Link therefore I’m sure it can’t be the modem. Is there settings I should change? 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Slow WiFi speed

What device are you checking on?

It could be that the device's wireless adaptor is the "slow link" in your connection. Check to see if you can update the device's wireless drivers.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

It happens with multiple devices. Not just the single one. When I called BT they said they’re not responsible for WiFi speeds but this just seems ridiculously slow

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Wireless speeds can vary greatly due to wireless interference from other electrical equipment and environmental factors such as foil backed insulation, thick walls etc, although that is obviously not the case here due to your speeds when next to the router.

Given that the wireless speed across multiple devices is more or less the same regardless of whether you are using the BT hub or the TP link and that your Ethernet speeds are what you would expect I would suggest that there will be little if anything that you can do to improve the speed.

If you are using powerline adaptors try turning them off to see if the speed improves.

A couple of other things you could try is turning off all your wireless devices and check one by one what speed it is registering per chance there is one device that is dragging your speeds down and likewise you could try turning off your electrical equipment to see if that improves the speed and if it does turn them back on one at a time till you find the device that is causing interference.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

I just find it a tad strange that I am standing right next to the box and the wireless speed is that much slower. I’ve tried with two phones, an iPad and a laptop. Don’t get how it’s possible. When I was with Virgin in my old house, never had these issues. Really not sure what the fix to this would be 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Sounds like you are connecting to 2.4Ghz maybe. 
Run a wifi scanner, lots of free ones to check if 5Ghz is being broadcast and check you are connected to 5Ghz.

on the iPhone/iPad there’s a free app called wifi Sweetspots, install that and see what the throughput is like noting this is internal connection rates. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

Even if only connected to 2.4Ghz it should still deliver well in excess of 50Mbps.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Not always, I’m lucky on my UDM to see mid 40s and I can’t max out my little 55 upload and it’s not unusual to see low 2.4 throughput. My other routers all differ with an AX model able to do 117 max and one router hitting around 30.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

What was the solution you came to?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

The solution is to check you are using the 5Ghz channel to start with and to try WiFi Sweetspots and see what that is recording.

2.4ghz is not a concern to me as that handles my IoT s which are separated from my main network but we need to see why 2 routers that see correct speeds when tested via wired then perform badly over WiFi on multiple devices so you need to start trouble shooting. 

check you are connected to 5Ghz, turn off any smart control or single SSID network and rename both channels then test. Remember to name them differently so you know which is the 5Ghz channel. 

0 Ratings