cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Slow connection on Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

I am on BTs 900/110 plan and am having issues with the Smart Hub 2's ethernet.

It's strange, when I reboot the router or unplug and re-plugin the ethernet cable I get nice fast speeds but then within 5 mins my speeds drop to under 400mb down and 10mb up.

Ignore the 50mb upload speed, that's another issue posted in the thread about that, but as you can see:

Before reboot:

Before.png

After reboot:

After.png

If I quickly unplug the cable and plug it back in the speeds go back to the 'after reboot' speeds (often the DL is higher, around 890mb-912mb), but this only lasts 5 minutes max, then the speeds drop back down again. This is also not just happening on speed testing sites, I have tried downloading/uploading to a webserver and the same thing happens. The BT checker always says 912mb/110mb, that maybe what the line is getting, but from the Home hub to my PC that isn't what is happening.

I have tried the following:

• Tested on the Laptop as well
  • Factory restart
  • Different port on the smart hub
  • Different cable
  • Set ethernet on my PC from auto handshake to force 1000mb connection
  • Disconnected WiFi devices

To make matters even more strange, when the home hub drops the ethernet speeds, the speed drops on all devices, including wireless. My phone goes from a DL or 500mb to 300mb for example, but just unplugging the ethernet and plugging it in again makes the WiFi speed go back up as well. It's as though the router cannot handle 900mbs so keeps slowing everything down, but then resets this odd behaviour when I make a change (ie, re-inserting the ethernet cable or rebooting).

Has anybody else had this?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Slow connection on Smart Hub 2

Go to solution

One of the well known problems on the SH2 is the Smart Setup utility, the intention may be good but it's anything but smart, disable it as shown here 

What is Smart Setup on the BT Hub? How can I turn it on and off? | BT Help

Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

If turning off smart setup doesn't resolve the situation you can do this test.

Connect PC/Laptop directly to the ONT and set up a PPPoE connection. Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com Password BT. Then run a speed test at Fast.com

Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
Cheers both, turning off smart setup fixed it.
Just the 50mb upload issue to sort now in the other thread (it had gone but came back when I did a factory reset trying to fix this issue) 🙂
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Glad to hear that one problem is fixed, just be aware that any future factory reset will re-enable Smart Setup

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

I have a different menu from the one shown on the link I can’t see an option to switch off smart ?78C0E88D-FA6C-4CD0-834B-42D48AF7006B.png

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

That's because Smart Setup no longer exists. This thread is 2 years old

0 Ratings