cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: Speed to hub dropping

I think that is what's happening, how would I get the connection information from the hub?

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 16

Hub downstairs, desktop PC upstairs connected via wifi.

Do you have a smart phone and/or tablet? If so, have you tried wifi standing next to the SmartHub? If that's OK, try the same upstairs by the computer. 

If the speeds are OK, then you might, as a last resort, take the PC downstairs and test just to confirm it is not the distance from the Hub to the PC that is causing the issue.

Message 13 of 16

Normally my son is playing online via his xbox (xbox downstairs near to the hub) as soon as I switch on the pc he has problems with his connection speed. The speed to the hub slows right down  regardless of where I measure the speed. The speed to the device/phone normally mirrors the speed to the hub.

Thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 16

As you are both using Wi-Fi, then I would expect to see a drop in speed, as you would be sharing the available Wi-Fi bandwidth.

It would be better if the Xbox was connected direct to the home hub using an Ethernet cable. That would reduce the load on the wireless link. I suspect that your PC is probably using a lot of bandwidth, either downloading up uploading.

Message 15 of 16

• The WiFi doesn't seem to be the problem though, it is the speed to the hub that is slow.

Broadband speed results

BT

Hub

Speed to your hub

Download

Upload

1.1Mb

1.8Mb

A

Your hub speeds aren't quite as expected.

I don't know how to post a screen shot but this is the text from the bt app speed checker.

The xbox was just an example, I can turn all other devices off and the speed to the hub drops as soon as the pc is switched on. I really believe it is electrical interference (REIN) but I don't know what I can do to my pc to stop the interference. I have tried different power outlets but this makes no difference, I have disconnected the bt booster disc and I have removed the WiFi adapter from my pc but still the hub is affected when the pc is on.

I really appreciate everyone trying to help with this issue. 

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

I think the connection speed to you hub is probably ok but your problem is speed over WiFi between hub and device which is something different

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.