cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Unexpected free upgrade to Fibre?

I am on standard ADSL broadband and get about 16mb/s download speed which is adequate for us.  We often get special offers (even free offers) from BT to go "superfast" but we ignore them as the speed we get is OK for us.  So a couple of days ago I get an email saying that   We recently wrote to you about your upcoming Switch Over Day on 17 July. We want you to have the best possible broadband experience, which is why we're switching everyone in a fibre-enabled area to a fibre broadband connection and  "on July 17th we'll turn off you copper connection and switch on your fibre broadband" and there will be no cost implications now or at contract renewal.  Yesterday I received another email saying that my new SmartHub2 is on it's way.  I have spoken with a number of my neighbours and no one else has received anything so why me?   Any ideas?   Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Unexpected free upgrade to Fibre?

enter your phone number and post results  this will show estimated speed range of the fibre connection as well as your existing connection.  the upgrade to fibre does not necessarily mean faster speed especially as you already get 16mb

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

if speed less than you get then you can decline the change to fibre

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Are the neighbours you have spoken to also using ADSL, obviously if they are already on FTTC then they wouldn’t be affected, it’s also possible that only customers that use ‘BT’ are being offered this initially , so no Sky or TT customers ( they are on LLU )

TBH, if it were optional , I would have thought you would be asked if you want this upgrade, not have it imposed , but there is a target to switch off PSTN by 2025 , so eventually this would affect most connections, perhaps your exchange is early in this programme of works.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Well, everyone I have spoken to are BT customers none of whom are on fibre as best they know, my neighbour went for superfast about two years ago and gets about 40mb/sec but so far I seem to be the only one that has received the forced upgrade.  Perhaps its because I kept ignoring their free offers to go superfast for two years fixed price etc.  We live in a Dorset coastal village West Lulworth and the cabinets have stickers saying say that fibre is available.   

One other point is that a company called wessexinternet.com has been installing fibre across the fields around the village and canvassing users if they are interested in a move to their service but no talk of prices yet.  Perhaps this is what's driving BT.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

I am guessing here, based on past experience, but many of the smaller exchanges only have the older ADSL (DSLAM) equipment and not the latest 21cn MSANS.

This old equipment takes up a lot of space and power, and it makes sense in the long run, to offload this quipment, especially if the eventual intent is to close these exchanges.

By offering a "free" upgrade to FTTC or FTTP, then that may encourage people to take up the offer.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Well the upgrade was made about a week ago and I now get 35mb download and about 9,5 upload so download speed has more than doubled.  I am also informed that I am on "Fibre Essential" and no price increase as promised so all looking good.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

It's a freebie, any standard BB customer who can have fibre, will be upgraded free of charge, no increase in cost, no setup costs, same calling plan etc
Anyone on standard BB who can't have fibre will be upgraded to Halo, with the Halo benefits included.

Anyone not wanting the free upgrades can opt out.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

It's a funny business but I can't understand what "Halo" actually is or is it a marketing concept?  I have had various leaflets but none actually tell you what it is!  Or is it just a care plan?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

This may help

https://www.bt.com/help/bt-halo/learn-about-bt-halo/what-is-bt-halo-and-how-can-i-get-it-

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

The free upgrades are because ADSL in all forms will be ceased in 2025. The sooner customers can be migrated to FTTC the sooner Openreach can phase the exchanges out.

0 Ratings