cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Upload Speed Not Fit for Purpose

Go to solution

Hi, I've always had slow upload speeds which hasn't mattered too much until I started working at home. My DL is typically 20mb and upload typically 1mb. This means I can't reliably video conference which is significantly effecting my work. 

I'm not really looking for technical solutions here but more contractual ones. BT do not guarantee a minimum upload speed. In my contract it states to expect 1mb so I know it's something I should have considered (lesson learnt). I've had openreach out 3 times all say nothing more they can do. 

I still have 18months left on contract, is there anything I can do to get out of my contract? I don't believe my upload speeds of 0.4 to 1.2mb are acceptable. 

For reference, these speeds are through the MyBT app speed check, connected with ethernet to router, no other wired or wireless connections. Onto test socket. Openreach say line is good. Silent line test shows nothing. I've had to purchase a 4G router which I'm now getting 35mb down / 15mb up. But don't want to continue to pay for BT for another 18months or pay £355 early exit costs. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Upload Speed Not Fit for Purpose

Go to solution

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

if you are getting the speed you were advised in your contract email then you cannot complain now that it is to slow.  If you cancel then you will need to pay the cancellation fees

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply. 

I'm typically getting the download speed, but my upload speed is the concern. On average it is 1mb but it varies widely. For example all morning today it was down at 0.4mb with no other devices connected. 

My contract advises 1mb - but this is not guaranteed. 

My question is really if there is any accountability for upload speed?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

All speeds quoted by BT are connection speeds down/up and are not download or upload speeds. 

Post the information I requested and see what can be done if anything

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

If you are getting 20Mb download it suggests you are on FTTC or are you on a really excellent ADSL connection , do you line really close to the exchange ?

The upload on VDSL /FTTC is 10Mb or 20Mb but is rate adaptive, longer lines slower speed, if on ADSL then 1Mb may well be  what the profile you are on allows, for the majority download is much more important than upload , that’s why the system is designed to be asymmetrical ( more down than up )

As  requested perhaps you can post your router statistics.

AFAIK, no domestic ISP gives an upload guarantee , so if the download is around what you were told to expect then you are not likely to be allowed to leave without ETC’s just because the upload isn’t any good for your situation 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

Jamiedgwilson_0-1592235019456.png

Jamiedgwilson_1-1592235097200.png

Unfortunately, I don't think anything can be done but just in case, attached are the screenshots.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

From the information you have posted you have a good connection and are getting the best your line can handle. There is nothing more you can do

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution
Thanks
0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

A temporary solution could be to borrow a 4G tablet or phone from your employer and use it as a Wi-Fi hotspot. It wouldn't be mega fast but (subject to 4G reception) it would be better than what you're struggling with at the moment.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the suggestion. 

I actually bought a 4G router and external antenna. It gets significantly better speeds than my fixed line (35 down 15 up) but it means I'm paying for both this and BT - and unfortunately the BT one is currently only useful for download. 

0 Ratings