cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Use a second Smart Hub 2.0 as a wifi extender whilst keeping same SSID?

Go to solution

HI, I recently decided to upgrade my homehub 5 router to a smarthub 2.0 to give me better connectivity through the house (that worked, black spots in the house have now disappeared!)

Anyway I bought the smarthub 2.0 from a popular auction site but in my exuberance decided to bid on 2 hubs. It looks like I will 'win' a second smarthub  2.0 and I am wondering whether I can use it like one of the wifi extender disks to push my connectivity into the garden? 

I have a powerline adaptor into the conservatory, so if it can be done do I just replicate my SSID and passwords on the second Smarthub 2.0 to extend my wifi , or will it just end up causing issues? Are there any special setting I need to go through?

I know I could use the second smarthub 2.0 to create a garden specific SSID but it would be nice to not have to faff about.

TIA!

James

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Use a second Smart Hub 2.0 as a wifi extender whilst keeping same SSID?

Go to solution

If you search the forum you will find detailed instructions, but basically all you need to do is give the second hub an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the primary hub 192.168.1.10 for example, turn off DHCP on the second hub and connect them together LAN port to LAN port. Entirely your choice if you give the second hub the same SSID as the primary but I would advise keeping them different so that you know which you are connected to and can force a change if your device hangs on to a weaker signal.

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Cheers , I'll mark as reolved but may come back if my google-fu searching skills let me down (which they alread did before I posted, but I might do better the next time around now I know it's out there)
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Do these hubs have to be the same model? I have a smart hub 2 and a smart hub 1 (home hub 6), can I link them together as stated in the latest reply?

Many thanks,

Stephen.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Same for Sh1/hh6

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings