cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

When will Full Fibre be available in Birmingham B73

In 2019 the fibre ring cable was laid in our Avenue and at the end of the year some engineers came and checked the connection possibilities for all the houses. They marked my cable connection to say it was suitable for upgrade.

However, the service is still not available a year later and I have been told that the roll out is being done on a  town by town. As Sutton Coldfield is part of Birmingham and the preparatory work was done a year ago I am wondering how much longer it will be before I can upgrade.

If 'Full Fibre' is not available when my current contract ends later this year I will switch to Virgin which was installed many years ago and is used by most of my neighbours.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: When will Full Fibre be available in Birmingham B73

The fibre rollout is Openreach, not BT Consumer , so ‘BT’ have no more information on it, than any other provider....you can contact OR directly ( although it isn’t a consumer facing company, other company’s like BT ,Sky etc, are it’s customers ), there is a channel to ask about fibre plans.

You can also check ( use your phone number if a current BT customer )

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/

if/when FTTP becomes available to order ( from an ISP that offers it ) , it will show as an available product .

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Yes I am fully aware of the checking facilities and have registered for updates from Openreach. I have been checking regularly for the last 12 months and it just tells me that the service is not yet available in my area. There is just silence from Openreach.

When I consider that 'Openreach' did the necessary preparation work 12 months ago I would be interested to know what the lead time will be now. The engineer advised me to contact BT to organise connection at the beginning of 2020. The problems getting any accurate information are hard to understand and suggest that customers a being ignored. This will just generate more business for Virgin as the only full fibre alternative available to me at the moment. I will have another go at getting some sense out of Openreach - thanks for your assistance  

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Interesting according to 'Openreach' FTTP is available to order now on the Sutton Coldfield exchange but when I try to order it via my BT account it tells me that it is not available and just offers FTTC?

CMSUTSUTTON COLDFIELDFTTC/P & FODNowBirmingham District (B)
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Post the result of the checker given above.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Looking at an entire exchange area CMSUT for example isn’t that helpful, most exchange areas may well have some FTTP ( the majority of new builds get FTTP ) , it’s your individual location that you need info on, hence the link to the wholesale checker.

Why OR start an area then appear to simply stop will have a reason, could be commercial, could be practical but that info may never be made public, no doubt OR won’t have simply forgotten, but, as this forum is a BT Consumer forum, even the official BT reps are not allowed any more info on OR’s plans than a representative of any other communications provider, so probably not the best place to enquire.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for the additional comment. Getting any accurate information from Openreach or BT is proving impossible, I have tried every method known to man but the response is it is not available yet. The online systems tell me that, what I want to know is when it is planned to be offered as I have to make a decision concerning which ISP to use when my current BT contract ends. I thought I would try this forum as a last resort. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Thanks I have completed the enquiry request and it states I should have a reply within 28 days - we will see.

0 Ratings