cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 49

watching BT Sport on a laptop

I have been trying to watch Premier league on my laptop this season, but it keeps buffering and skipping large chunks of the game.  I have a BT sport package and it plays fine on TV.   Someone told me to download the BT TV player and log on to the game using that instead of Chrome or I.E etc.,   However I can not log into this BT TV Player as it keeps giving me an error code  WJ931  saying my log in details are wrong.    I have checked my log in details and they are correct, and I can log into MY BT or to BT sport via a regular browser.    Can someone help me to figure out a way to watch BT Sport on my laptop?   I have no problem watching SKY SPORTS via their media player on the same laptop,  but trying to watch BT sport online has become a nightmare as it's buffering and unwatchable.    Any help would be greatly appreciated.  

0 Ratings
48 REPLIES 48
Message 2 of 49

Re: watching BT Sport on a laptop

The BT TV Player is only for BT TV subscribers - a BT Sport login won't work.
Are you using the web player (www.bt.com/sport/watch) or the Windows 10 app? The best experience is usually obtained from the web player - the app is legacy, and will soon be discontinued.

Either way, excessive buffering would indicate an internet speed/reliability issue. If you go to fast.com what speed does it report?
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 49

Thanks for the reply.   I am using the web player (www.bt.com/sport/watch)  I have tested this on 2 laptops and a desktop and it's the same on all three yet it works fine on my mobile phone.     

I took your advice and checked my internet speed on fast.com and it shows 49mbps on one laptop and 47mpbs on the other.    My argument about an internet speed/reliability issue, is that how come every other thing I play, watch or engage with play fine.  For example the issue last week I posted here was trying to watch the Man City v Arsenal match on BT sport.   It was unwatchable due to buffering and jumping.  It's been like it on BT for a few weeks now.   However 5 hours later watching Sky Sports, for the Liverpool v Chelsea game it was near perfect.   I have tested BT several times and it's the same every time.    Hopeless.    If I watch a You tube video it's fine, and all other things,  this problem is only happening on BT and as I say it's happening on 3 different devices.   

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 49

OK thanks. In which case, I'll need to investigate this further.

Could you please send me a DM with the BT ID (username) that you're logged into BT Sport with, and I'll see what we can find out from our logs.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 49

I now have the same problem when trying to watch BT sports this week - is there a solution ?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 49

Tried it here and the webite you link to gives me a "VC086:Our player requires you to make some changes to your cookie settings. Click Help below and search for VC086 for more information." Can't get around that.

But the app is still working fine.

@DarrenDevwrote:
The BT TV Player is only for BT TV subscribers - a BT Sport login won't work.
Are you using the web player (www.bt.com/sport/watch) or the Windows 10 app? The best experience is usually obtained from the web player - the app is legacy, and will soon be discontinued.

Either way, excessive buffering would indicate an internet speed/reliability issue. If you go to fast.com what speed does it report?

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 49

Hi, @ozsat Thanks for posting, when you log onto the online page you'll get a Cookies pop-up message. You need to click Always allow, this should fix the problem.

Thanks 
Neil

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 49

Never ever get that message even with "block pop-ups" disabled.

@NeilOwrote:

Hi, @ozsat Thanks for posting, when you log onto the online page you'll get a Cookies pop-up message. You need to click Always allow, this should fix the problem.

Thanks 
Neil

---------------------------------------------------------------
Fibre 2 Unlimited using EE Smart Hub 2 with EE TV Box Pro (UHD/HDR) in IP mode.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 49

None of this works or will fix the problem.  I cleared all cookies, refreshed, restarted, cleared browser,  allowed all cookies, the lot and none of it works.  Live sport like football or rugby is unwatchable for me on BT sport, on a laptop and I have tested it on several devices. Last season it was working,  and the problem was not as bad. It works fine on my phone,  very little buffering or jumping.  

It's the only channel that doesn't work on my laptops.  If I watch Sky sports, BBC iplayer, ITV hub,  You Tube, Facebook, they all work perfectly through my laptop. But BT is unwatchable. 

I am going to cancel my subscription to BT Sport and also change Internet provider.  I feel so badly let down by BT having subscribed for many years.   Nobody can fix this or have even attempted to help or fix it.   There are many online reports of the same problem but zero effort from BT to fix or help.  Useless service.  

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 49

You only get that message when you first log in after clearing your browser.  It made no difference or improvement to the service/ stream.  

0 Ratings