cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

BT 2600 phone cable/line help

Hi

I recently bought a BT Decor 2600 phone.

The phone came with the electric charger and instruction manual but had no cable with it to plug  it in to a BT socket.

On ebay I typed in - BT phone cable line

Ebay came back with BT phone cable adverts, they all say the sell

-

2 pin Cross Wired Cable: This is the standard Modem Cable. Used for modems / Routers but some telphones and other devices do use these too.

4 pin Straight Wired Cable: Used with some Telephones and most Fax Machines.

4 pin Cross Wired Cable: Used for Sky Boxes and Most UK Telephones.

My current phone has the 2 pin cable but it won't work with the BT Decor 2600 as I tried it.

Which one of the 4 pin cables will the BT Decor 2600 need so I can plug it in to my BT master socket and use it as a normal phone.

I checked the manual but it doesn't tell me.

Also how can I tell what is a cross over cable and what is a straight through cable.

I hope some one can help.

If this isn't the right part of the forum for this help, please can you direct me to the part which is.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT 2600 phone cable/line help

@Spanner-66 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Retail phone and broadband customers.

You need to edit out those links, as they are not permitted on this forum. Thanks.

You need to return the phone to the retailer you bought it from, and ask for a replacement that has a cord.

If you search Google for the Telephone Service Centre, they do phone cords.

Keith_Beddoe_0-1673094233308.png

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

You only need two wires but it doesn't matter if there are more.

The BT end is always the same, it's the wiring in the clear RJ11 socket that goes into the phone that changes. So take a look at the cable that doesn't work & see where the wires go. You'll maybe need a magnifying glass or take a pic on your phone & zoom in. If they're connected to the centre two pins, that's cross-wired. If not it's straight. You just need to order the opposite to what you currently have.

But before you do, do you have any old routers kicking around that might have the right cable?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Sadly I can't do that as I got it from ebay, the phone works perfectly in my friend's house who also has a BT2600 and due to it working I won't get a refund or replacement from ebay.

My 2600 is fine I just need to get the right cable for it.

Do I need to repost this question on another part of this forum which deals with technical matters related to phones and if I do can you please tell me where to repost this.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

No my internet is with Virgin Media but the phone line is with BT.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

This is the right forum for BT Branded equipment.

https://shop.bt.com/products/bt-decor-2600-premium-nuisance-call-blocker-083154-BTHZ.html

Support is via the helpdesk number shown in the manual.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Yes thats the phone I have.

I called the help desk number, they said they have one but for £9.

I know I can get it cheaper from some where else, I just need to know if I need a 4 pin Straight Wired Cable or 4 pin Cross Wired Cable for the BT 2600 as I don't know.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

I suspect that you haven't read the whole of my post...

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

I had quick read.

I'll get the magnifying glass out to see which type it is.

0 Ratings