cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT Smart Hub 2 - Power Adapter Ground Noise

Hi all,

I've been having an issue for the past few weeks/ months and to be honest it's really starting to frustrate me.

On my Gaming PC I've been getting a buzzing/ humming & slight clicking noise through my earphones - and I've tried alternative earphones and the issue remains.

I've completely stripped my setup way back and reconnected everything, taking care to cable manage and keep audio cables away from power cables.

I've identified the source of this buzzing/ humming & clicking noise to come from either the BT Smart Hub 2 or it's Power Adapter (leaning toward the latter).

When it's plugged in it's generating this constant irritating noise and I cannot solve it - it's made worse by squeezing the cable that's folded up and held together by a cable tie (the same cable bunching as it arrives out of the box with just a foot of slack to connect to the power socket.

I tried an old Smart hub adapter which has the same power ratings and it was still the same issue.
Thing is this power adapter has a plastic ground pin - so I'm guessing this means it's not being grounded if I'm getting ground noise - What other adapter can I try?

This hub is only a few months old.

If I can't get a solution here I'll just scrap it and get something else entirely.

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 - Power Adapter Ground Noise

If, as is the norm these days, the power adapter is switch mode then it is operating at something like 40kHz which is well above the typical human hearing range of around 20kHz so I have my doubts that the noise is coming from the adapter.

The earth pin is plastic because the adapter is double insulated and therefore doesn't require an earth connection.

For what it's worth, I would turn my attention to any RCDs' that you may have be they the plug-in type (in a mains socket) or in your consumer unit

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Assuming it is a 12v power supply, could you try powering it from a battery (e.g. car battery) just long enough to confirm that it is the PSU rather than the hub itself.

How far is the hub from your PC?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Try removing the cable tie and unwrapping the power cable.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

The reason I think it's the adapter or hub is because from my GoXLR Mini (mixer) device when I plug my earphones into the headphone amp I get this irritating noise.
When I remove the BT hub power adapter from the mains the noise goes away.
Even with every other device connected it's perfectly fine. As soon as I plug in the BT hub the noise returns.
All my aux cables have ground loop isolators but it doesn't fix this noise when the hub is powered on.

Also I've seen some people mention on here before that their hub/ adapter makes a weird clicking noise - which is the same noise I hear only through my earphones or headphones only when the hub is powered on.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Not sure how I would power this from a battery?

The hub is sitting on top of my streaming PC and is about 3 foot away from my Gaming PC.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

I admit I had not thought through how you might use a battery. I tend to have all sorts of bits and pieces lying around such as 2.1mm plugs, old alarm batteries so it is easy for me. I was thinking something like this attached to a battery: 2.1mm x 5.5mm Male DC Plug to Bare Ended Power Cable 1.5m/2m/3m/5m

Might be a non-starter for you as I have no idea about your circumstances.

0 Ratings