cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 47

Re: BT Smart Hub2 WiFi broadcasting without an SSID despite being turned off

Go to solution

Good thread. I am a EE customer with a EE FTTP router. I have the issue whereas the router is broadcasting unwanted hidden ssid's that are interfering with other systems I have at home. 

Does anyone have an knowledge or opinions about the situation?

Would be ideal if these hidden ssid's were disabled.

TIA

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 47

Go to solution

That's awesome! I wish I found this earlier... Less interference and energy use now 🙂

Message 23 of 47

Go to solution
Since this was disabled the WiFi router also runs much cooler
0 Ratings
Message 24 of 47

Go to solution

Seems like the new EE smarthub plus router has this same issue too

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 47

Go to solution
I've just gone into the Smarthub 2 Manager and selected "Turn off all Wireless" and saved this. The SH2 Manager confirms "wireless disabled". Sure enough the "normal" wireless, which was on Channel 1, has gone, but the "hidden SSID" is still broadcasting. Unfortunately, it's broadcasting on the same channel (6) as my BT Wholehome (white discs) system. I turned the SH2 wireless back on to see if I could change the channel of the hidden SSID - but there seems to be no way to do this. The Wholehome app on my cellphone also doesn't allow any change of channel.
Is there any way I can either turn off the hidden SSID, or change the channel for it, or the Wholehome system?
0 Ratings
Message 26 of 47

Go to solution

Interesting.  I have limited experience with this but I too have an SH2 in place just for DV and the Wi-Fi turned off.  My own observation is that the hidden disc backhaul used the same channel as the 2.4GHz, (which seems a bit strange), and was turned off when the rest was turned off.  That was firmware v40, by the way.  Does the MAC on this device match the MAC on the SH2?  It might be coming from next door.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 47

Go to solution
I've turned the SH2 WiFi back on and the MAC addresses shown for these WiFi signals differ from those shown for the Hidden SSID. But there are 2 WiFi signals (EE WiFi and BT-Q6A26W) which each have different MAC addresses, and 3 Hidden SSID signals, also all with different MAC addresses.
So I don't know whether this shows the Hidden SSID signals are coming from my SH2 or not?
My firmware was update in mid November and is v0.41.00.07076-BT
0 Ratings
Message 28 of 47

Go to solution

If you have an android phone, you should be able to tell with apps like WiFi Analyzer https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vrem.wifianalyzer - just check if the Mac addresses have a similar number sequence and the vendor of the hotspot

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 47

Go to solution
I've just done what I should have done before posting this stuff. I turned off my BT Wholehome (white disc) system and both the SSID I set up on them, and the Hidden SSID have vanished. So the Hidden SSID is just the backhaul for the Wholehome system - I should have realised this before.
Problem is therefore over because it didn't actually exist!
Message 30 of 47

Go to solution

At last I find something of an explanation re SH2 & hidden SSID. However, with BT-EE changeover (as contracts renew) so landline pushed across to DV therefore  SH2 (due to BT proprietary DV?) is mandatory, so stuck with SH2. I deactivated WiFi (hidden SSID's disappear) & hooked on own WiFi AP router, but SH2 not playing ball?  I'd happily embrace EE community forum, but it  lacks detail (for the moment). So I resort back to this forum. So question is the EE black SH2 as per BT SH2 & how to configure to accept an AP router?

0 Ratings