cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT TV box pro set up without wifi ?

Go to solution

Hi , I tried to set up my new BT box but it does not see my TP link plug in extender . BT are sending me mini connectors ( 2 wks now)  to replace my  TP link set up . In the meantime does anyone know if can I set up and use the box without using wifi ?   just  get terrestial  TV via the aerial . I am asking as the first thing the instructions ask you to do is set up wifi and I am nervous that I may screw it all up  . Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT TV box pro set up without wifi ?

Go to solution

As far as I am aware (and I don't own one but read the forum enough), you can only connect a BT TV Pro Box using WiFi to a BT Smart Hub (or Complete Wifi), it won't even "see" other wireless networks.

If your TV box is to be located out of range of the Smart Hub and you don't want to wait until you can connect via ethernet using the mini connectors, you can take the box to the Smart Hub (or as close as you can get), and set it up there, but I believe it needs an internet connection to do initial set up even if you just want to watch content through an aerial.

Others will advise if that isn't correct, but that is what it says on the set up page: https://www.bt.com/help/tv/set-up-bt-tv 

You have to bear in mind:

1. That the internet channels for BT TV are delivered via something called Multicast which only some hubs/routers can manage
  2. That BT own the box throughout the contract, so they probably need the initial internet connection to do something like register the box is at the right location and update it before it will work fully

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | BT TV Pro | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

HI many thanks for the speedy reply . All you write  makes sense ,  I didn't know about Multicast . I guess I just need to be more patient and wait for the mini BT connectors .The existing TP ones work just fine ie I can watch BT sport , Netflix etc. on the TV apps I  just hope the BT equivalent is as good . Thanks again 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

It's not correct that only the BT Hub wireless can be seen by the Pro Box, but it is very finicky. The Box only has 5GHz so you need to make sure the TP-Link is broadcasting 5GHz. It will not see or connect to 2.4GHz.

Also in my experience, it also doesn't like the higher channel numbers, so if your TP-Link does support 5GHz I'd suggest trying channel 40 first.

I've also found that any changes to the networking are likely to cause the Box to lock up, even trying to switch from ethernet to WiFi. This seems to need a maintenance reset to start again, although you can keep the recordings.

I've never known a device be so problematic with networking & have a suspicion that this may be behind many of the issues we see reported with it.

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi Thank you for the reply. I note your point , the instructions are so basic . I will try the power line adapters they trying to send me . (sore point I have  had to make two calls to chase them they keep saying the last person ordered the wrong ones  ?? 

0 Ratings