cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT Whole Home Wifi 3 white discs

I have purchased the BT Whole Home Wi-Fi (Pack of 3 Discs) but the discs are glitching and resetting around 4-5 times every day... I also have a new BT Hub/router, new ethernet cables etc.

I have been touch with their support desk, although after initial correspondence they have now disappeared, despite me chasing them.

Anyone else having issues?  Or can point me towards someone who can resolve my issue, ref 1848 269 ?

Or anyone from BT Whole Home Support or BT Connected Home helpdesk reading this who can look into my case..?!? Its been going on for some time and is VERY annoying.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Whole Home Wifi 3 white discs

@cordycordy 

You raised this issue on your last thread https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/BT-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi-keeps-dropping-Pack-of-3-Discs/m-p/238169...

I suspect that nobody has the answer to this, especially if product support cannot help.

I would be inclined to return or sell them, and purchase a proper third party wireless mesh, like on of the TP Link Deco range.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

@Keith_Beddoe thanks, and I fear you are correct, although you'd hope that Product Support would at least respond to say they're stumped 😞

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

I think product support have given up with this product, especially as they have to support customers of many other ISPs, with different router configurations.

The TP Link Deco system I have, is flawless, and I have no issues with devices disconnecting, they simply move from one node to another. They also have a separate guest network which you can set as single band, for devices that do not like dual bands.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for this, I'll definitely check it out. Has great reviews too!!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

@cordycordy 

Just looking back at your previous thread on this issue:

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Devices/BT-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi-keeps-dropping-Pack-of-3-Discs/m-p/238169...

You said then, "As a final comment, my son is kicked out of his Xbox (which is connected to the Smarthub, not Whole Home)".

To clarify, is the XBox connected by WiFi or ethernet cable to the SmartHub?

Do you have the WiFi switched on on the SmartHub as well as having the Whole Home WiFi mesh system?

If so, are the Hub and WHW set to different WiFi channels?

If both are set to the same channel, they will likely be interfering with each other and might be the cause of your problem.

I have a Whole Home WiFi 3 disc setup, (the original version of  discs), but the WiFi on my router is completely disabled.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

@Paul608085 Thanks for this… very good suggestion! I’ll check thank you

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

I can also second the DECO recommendation, the BT Wholehome Original Discs were pretty good, I used them for 4 years, experienced all the quirks and they were lacking some fundamental features but I was kinda bought into them for a while.

The last firmware update was ages ago as well so seems the product is unofficially EOL.

One thing to check though, open the App and discover the Master Disc's IP address in its details then browse to this address on a laptop/desktop, also possible on a mobile device but easier with a larger screen. You will need the admin password off the back of the disc in question physically then you can have a look at the logs and see if anything stands out.

Things that can cause the discs to reboot are a simple as crashing, sometimes if the MESH is working super hard the master disc will reboot. Bear in mind also, if the master disc every reboots the other discs (if they are in MESH not hard wired) will also go through the cycle of trying to find their master again, it will appear to be a reboot as it cycles through the process.

The master disc will also reboot (and as we know causes the others to) if it loses connection via LAN, if it cannot see an established ethernet connect to its router it will reboot. For example if the BT Hub reboots for any reason then the discs will also. This used to do my head in because Virgin Media Cable Routers would often reboot when the modem side lost its cable service, due to maintenance or whatever, this would then cause everything to disconnect where as it would be better if the master disc just stayed online serving the other discs even if there is no actual internet.

A way around this is to connect the Master disc to a switch and connect the switch to the router, the switch will remain powered the entire time so you can reboot the BT hub without the master disc having a fit.

Having said all of that and being quite fond of the discs....eventually I had enough and went with a proper WIFI solution.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquity ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings