cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT Whole Home Wifi 6 and the neighbours

Hi all,
So I got myself Whole Home Wifi 6, the 3 pack. Router's wifi is turned off, each disc is wired into the router.

Problem 1: The next door neighbour appears to have the same wifi kit and the app keeps picking up that signal. So when opening the app I'm getting the following message:

New Whole Home network detected

By selecting 'Continue' your Whole Home network xxx settings will be removed from the app.

This phenomenally useless message comes with but one button: "Continue". I can close the message with the {x} in the top right corner but all that does is bringing the same message back again after a few seconds. A button "permanently ignore other people's networks and focus on mine" would come in handy. BTW, I'm sitting in front of one of the discs when that happens; I doubt the other signal is stronger. The discs dropped out earlier, for no apparent reason, and I had to switch them off and on a few times to get the to cooperate again - which lost the light settings (I had turned the blue lights to less aggressive). Am I supposed to ask all neighbours to turn their BT wifi off so I can get to the configuration of mine?

Problem 2: I'm reasonably technical and I don't quite get the concept of the master disc. It's a mesh of 3 discs, if one of them drops out, why do all the others follow suit? As mentioned above, they're all connected via cable straight to the router. Have I missed a configuration switch I can't get to unless the neighbours ... 

Any help/tips appreciated.

Volks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Whole Home Wifi 6 and the neighbours

May it help others:
Got the IP addresses of the discs from my router, browsed to one of them and voila - wired access. No messing with the neighbours.
The web app and the phone app are a bit out of sync, the phone app says disc 3 is disconnected due to a firmware incompatibility (??!), the web app shows it as healthy and even promoted it to a primary. Got 2 primaries now(??!)

Anyway, don't have to use the phone app which is a huge relief. As for the problem with the master, maybe 3 primary discs - if that's possible - adds a bit more independence to the mesh. 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

I think the 3 masters is because you have 3 connected by ethernet to hub whereas I think only 1 should be connected by ethernet and others wireless

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 7

You CAN. I've got the cable, why not connect. IMHO a cable should beat amplifying a potentially bad signal.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

If you intended using cable you might as well have bought 3 cheap WAPs rather than an expensive mesh system.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Had them before but the signal was rather patchy throughout the house. The mesh in itself works quite well and it provides a stable signal.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

"If you intended using cable you might as well have bought 3 cheap WAPs rather than an expensive mesh system."

What has a wired backhaul got to do with mesh steering?

0 Ratings