cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Extender disc for BT smart hub 2

Go to solution

Just got this item for Fibre 100 (150mbps download).  I'd like to experiment with an extender disc.  If this works I'll use this to replace my Amplifi HD mesh network.

Can I just buy an extender disc or do I have to subscribe to Whole Home WiFi first ?  Is there a compatibility issue with just trying to link the extender to the hub ?

Thanks

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Extender disc for BT smart hub 2

Go to solution

@victorhorta 

You can use it without BT Complete Wi-Fi if you buy your own disc, but they are not cheap. They work with the BT Smart Hub 2. You may find your existing mesh system just as good.

https://www.bt.com/broadband/accessories/

Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks.  I see them on ebay for £60+postage.  I guess I just need to ensure they are the correct version (white BT logo inside a white circle).

Cheers

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Yes, the Amplifi HD is brilliant but there seems to be a compatibility issue with the Smart Hub 2.  I had Fibre 500 originally but the LAN connection from Amplifi to Smart Hub would only go at 99mbps.  Wifi will go at full rate but not LAN. (Amplifi running in Bridge Mode)

I need the Smart Hub 2 to get the existing phone to work.

So therefore I'm looking at using BT as a complete mesh network.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

@victorhorta 

No, they have to be the black discs.  You are unlikely to find them on eBay, as they are only on loan from BT, unless somebody has bought one retail. The white ones will not link to the Smart Hub 2.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Yes, this is black - looks the same as on the BT site.  Ebay search for item : 374178498875

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@victorhorta 

No, they have to be the black discs.  You are unlikely to find them on eBay, as they are only on loan from BT, unless somebody has bought one retail. The white ones will not link to the Smart Hub 2.

To be pedantic, the white ones will work with the SH2, they just won't form a mesh and will need to be connected via Ethernet rather than meshing via wifi with the SH2.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

I see the difference in the logo - so not the same.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

But the ones with this BT logo are the only ones to form the mesh network ?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

No idea about logo, black disc=complete wifi and will mesh with SH2. White disc=whole home and is standalone system that will work with any router but will only form a mesh with other white discs not router.

0 Ratings