cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Mini Whole Home Wi-Fi Disc Security

Go to solution

Hi, I have Mini Whole Home Wi-Fi Discs connected to my BT Smart Hub 2.

When I connect my mobile phone via Wi-Fi to the hub (with WPA2) there is no issue.

When I connect my phone to the discs, I see 'Weak Security' displayed, presumably because the discs use 'WEP'.

I can't see a wireless security setting on the Whole Home app and the discs have the latest firmware, so just wondering if there is anything I can do about this?

Thanks.  

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Mini Whole Home Wi-Fi Disc Security

Go to solution

Is that an iphone?

Apple have been obsessed with WPA3 for some time now, despite the fact that the vast majority of equipment doesn’t support it yet.  Anything less is considered “weak”.

The disks will almost certainly be WPA2, which is perfectly adequate.  They will not be WEP, as that is obsolete to the point of being a joke today.  No manufacturer would be incompetent enough to still be setting that as the default.  (At least, I hope not).

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply.

The thing I don’t understand is why ‘Weak Security’ isn’t displayed when I connect the phone to the smart hub which is set to WPA2?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

I’m not that familiar with the iphone, but I suspect that if you’ve told it to accept the SH2 connection sometime in the past it’s probably remembering that the SH2 is “OK” from then and not challenged it again.

I wouldn’t worry about it.  It might (theoretically) be an issue connecting in a public place but in your home, it is extremely unlikely you would get hacked.  To even begin cracking it an attacker would have to establish a stable connection.  That means being within about 50m.  You know how fantastic the Wi-Fi range is with a couple of walls in the way.  Are your neighbours really that dangerous?  lol.