cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Problems with devices dropping off BT Whole Home Wifi and not reconnecting

I have a BT Whole Home Wifi system (the original large discs), with 4 discs covering my 3-storey house (in the UK). I'm happy with the wifi coverage and speeds that it provides, but I get problems from time to time with devices dropping off the wifi network and not being able to reconnect (I try power cycling the device in question, at least a couple of times). This usually requires power cycling one of the BT discs (after trying to working out which disc the device had been connected to). I usually try restarting my router first, but that doesn't usually fix the problem.

I have no idea why this problem occurs, and it's pretty annoying having to go around the house turning the disc(s) on and off. This has the other unwanted consequence of devices reconnecting to the "wrong" disc after discs are power cycled - for example, one of the discs is located close to my front door, which is perfect for my video doorbell. But when I power cycle it the video doorbell immediately tries to reconnect to the nearest alternative disc, which is much further away. I then need to power cycle the video doorbell to get it to connect to the "correct" disc, which is not straightforward).

The discs are hardware v1, software v1.02.13 build07. I have disc topology set to default, and use static IP addresses for each disc. My router is a Netgear R7800 running DD-WRT (with wifi disabled).

Does anyone have any idea why devices drop off the wifi network and refuse to reconnect until I power cycle the relevant disc? As I now have all of the discs connected back to the router via cabled ethernet links, would I be better off replacing the BT mesh system with simpler access points?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Problems with devices dropping off BT Whole Home Wifi and not reconnecting

@itm60 

Welcome to this user forum for BT Residential phone and broadband customers.

It would be best to give the WHW product helpdesk a call on 0808 100 6116 ( Mon to Fri 9am to 5.30pm and Sat 9am to 2pm) or drop them an email to: btconnectedhome@bt.com and they'll be happy to help.

Message 3 of 3

Re: Problems with devices dropping off BT Whole Home Wifi and not reconnecting

@itm60wrote:

My router is a Netgear R7800 running DD-WRT (with wifi disabled).

How is the network set up?

Disabling the wifi on the R7800 does not turn off the router component. Only AP mode does that. But then you hit this:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

I have no idea how that affects DD-WRT. You'll have to ask the people who wrote it.

What connects you to the Internet? A modem? HomeHub? ONT?

What is the R7800 doing on your network? Why are you using DD-WRT?

BT makes it hard, but not impossible, to do without its own modem, even though it is a pile of junk, designed for the benefit if BT rather than its customers.

0 Ratings