cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

smarthub 2 shows static ip addresses

I have a 38meg superfast connection using an EE branded SH2 with the internal wifi turned off, CAT 7 connected to 3 x stand alone white BT wholehome mesh discs (i.e. NOT the ones that connect directly to the HH) and CAT 7 wired to several devices via Netgear switches ......all in all a pretty good setup for my home

In the SH2 under my devices, some are shown as static ip some as DHCP whereas in fact ALL my devices are set to DHCP.

Also in that list are several ghost devices that it will not let me delete - some are blue some are white but none are or have been connected for several weeks.

If I restart the SH2 it might let me delete some of the old devices but still shows static ip - sometimes the list "grows" and changes and although all devices remain set to DHCP the router says they are static and wont let me change their ip addresses etc.

I have tried a full factory reset which is a PITA as it also has 4 x digital voice handsets connected and they all need setting up afterwards but again this made no difference to the static/DHCP issue

It matters to me as I want to keep a close eye on what is connected to my network and theoretically it could eventually end up with no spare ip addresses although I appreciate that is highy unlikely

By chance I happened to re-start the MESH discs and most (but not all) of the devices then correctly showed DHCP but over a few days they seem to change back to static

I appreciate that doesnt make sense and "cant" happen.....but it is !

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: smarthub 2 shows static ip addresses

The SH2 does not have facility for setting static IP addresses but you can set it to 'always use this address' which is not the same but similar

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

Yes, that's the whole point.....it doesnt have the facility to do so......but seemingly it is !

I always use the "always use this address" option but when it shows it as static that isn't an option.....clearly there is something amiss in the software

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

The Smart Hub2 network map is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike. It reports all sorts of inaccuracies and can't be relied upon for genuine information. 

Message 5 of 20

Oh well that's OK then......not!

Why on earth cant they fix it....was never a problem on previous hubs....amd it does prevent several other operations 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

It doesn't prevent anything, it's just an information page.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

It prevents for example changing the ip address and also the device name.....they are both greyed out 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

They are greyed out if they are not connected.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

yes, I know that.... but some are still blue and havent been conmnected for weeks, the devices are over 10 miles away too so theres no way they can stil be connected!

Some of the greyed out devices simply cannot be removed, nor the blue ones as it still thinks they are connected

THAT, along with the DHCP/static ip issue  is the problem 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

@davidwf15 

if it is causing you that much of a problem just factory reset hub and go back to square 1

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings