cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Sky q mini ethernet issue

Good morning. I’m using A white BT disc system. I have a disk in our garden building approx 20 m from the nearest one in the house . The disc says it’s got “good” connection according to the whole home app.  I recently got a sky mini box  that i have put  in my garden building. I  read they don’t have a good wifi system so I connected it to the disk via an Ethernet cable and it worked fine until today. This morning the sky box won’t work and it seems to be because of the Ethernet connection. When  I plug the Ethernet in the back of the disk approx 30 seconds later the disk drops its connectivity to the rest of my WiFi network and just flashes blue. As soon as I unplug the Ethernet cable from the back of  the disk it  reconnects and works fine. Any suggestions greatly received. It’s worth noting that I’ve had the sky mini box working for a few weeks but this morning it’s just developed this problem.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Sky q mini ethernet issue

The Sky Q setup does have some internal networking stuff that it uses to connect to each other, IE the mini's...I wonder if the remote BT disc is getting confused, it is ending up thinking that its route back to the master disc is through the Sky Box because the Sky box can connect to the main Q box via its own WIFI. So it is flashing blue trying to locate its router. I am totally aware that you can connect devices to the back of the white discs and as far as the device is concerned it has ethernet back to the router where the MESH is taking care of its route actually, this normally works fine. In this case perhaps the Sky internal network is causing havoc given its kinda unique setup.

In addition, the BT discs whilst stretched over longer distances, 20m is quite a way, may crash more easily, loosing their connection with the nearest disc in the chain. They can also be pretty dumb, you may find your discs are all daisy chaining in a nice 1 - 2 - 3 order until suddenly 3 is now connected to 1 when 2 is a far better choice.

The Sky Q Mini box can act as a WIFI Hot Spot also, this is another complication whilst there is a WIFI disc right near it, adding interference, I would go about switch that off also: How to enable WiFi Hotspots for non-Sky Broadband lines | Sky Help | Sky.com | Sky Help | Sky.com....this is of course if it is on, but on the Sky Q Mini box I would try to disable WIFI entirely so it is just relying on its connection to the white disc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
Message 3 of 8

you could try just in case the wifi is the problems as suggested by @naylor2006 

How do I turn off WiFi on Sky Mini Box?

To enter hidden menu press Home and navigate down to Settings but do not select Settings. With Settings highlighted press 0 0 1 Select. Go to Network to turn off both bands of WiFi. Confirm before exit.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 4 of 8

Hi,thanks for getting involved with this puzzle. I’ve  just disabled both  WiFi bandwidths but it’s  just the same. As soon as I plug an Ethernet cable in to the back of BT disc then into the sky mini the Disk looses connectivity and starts flashing blue. To prove it’s the sky box causing the issue I’ve just unplugged the Ethernet from the sky box and left it  still plugged in the disk which with in seconds goes solid blue and reconnects to my network. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Hi,thanks for getting involved with this puzzle. I’ve  just disabled both  WiFi bandwidths but it’s  just the same. As soon as I plug an Ethernet cable in to the back of BT disc then into the sky mini the Disk looses connectivity and starts flashing blue. To prove it’s the sky box causing the issue I’ve just unplugged the Ethernet from the sky box and left it  still plugged in the disk which with in seconds goes solid blue and reconnects to my network. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Have you disabled the hotspot stuff as well?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BT900 | Nokia ONT | Ubiquiti ER-X | EETV Box Pro (IP Mode) | Unifi CK2 | 6x Unifi U6+ | 2x Unifi SAK Ultra
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Just went to settings/network/ advanced but didn’t get an option for hotspots. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

I think you might be right in respect of distance between the disk, just weird how if sky not connected the WiFi disc performs well  with multiple connections in the garden building but plug the Ethernet in from the sky box and the disk just stops working . 

0 Ratings