Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Socket move help

Go to solution

Hi,

New poster and seeking some advice.

We are getting a log burner fitted next week and the company fitting said we would need to get  the 2 openreach boxes moved. Called a local electrician who said it needs to be done by our service provider (BT). 
Before I contact them, I need help understanding what they are but can’t upload a picture as it’s to large a file size.

The first box says Master socket 5c Openreach MK4 , but nothing is plugged into it. I assume this is for the phone.

The second box says openreach has a 4 lights at the top(Port, LOS, PON & POWER), and has 3 cables out of the bottom Power, Port and Optical….i assume this is fibre coming into the house.

is it true only BT can move them?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Socket move help

Go to solution

They're openreach equipment so yes only openreach can move the ONT for sure (second box) but you would have to contact your provider to move them so if BT is your provider then yes contact them. You might be lucky but I don't think it'll be possible before next week tbh

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

As you have fibre, the box marked "Master socket 5c Openreach MK4" is almost certainly redundant and the wiring dead. Ask whoever comes to move the ONT to confirm that it is and, if you have no use for it, remove it.

Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

BT only arrange for BT customers to have their Openreach equipment moved , if you were with Sky ( for example ) your request would not concern BT at all.
As you are a BT customer, then obviously BT can arrange  this for you to be done by Openreach and as a rough estimate of cost , about £100.

Because you have an ONT ( the box with the PON , LOS , Power lights ) you have FTTP ,  so  unless you arranged to have the Master socket reconnected into your FTTP connection to keep phone extensions working on FTTP , then the master socket is now redundant ( so no point considering moving it , it’s dead anyway ) 

The ONT has a fibre optic cable plugged into it ( the green plug ) if it needs moving , then it’s really a job for Openreach, if you can see where the cable comes into your house and the new ONT location is a shorter cable run that the ONT existing position, ( and the new position has a mains socket near by ) it may be possible to unclip the cable and reattach the ONT where you want it  , but you would have a length of excess cable , that has to be kept without any sharp bends in it , and if damaged would lead to a loss of service, so it’s probably best left to the company that installed it , Openreach.

Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Many thanks to you all for taking the time to me with feedback. 

0 Ratings