cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Trouble connecting bt hub to enterprise switch

Go to solution

Hey guys.

Im currently learning networking as a part of my job, we are messing around with switches to get first hand experience, we got a spare BT business smart hub 6 that wasn't being used so we tried adding it to the network so we could communicate between VLANS.

I don't know if I'm missing something but I can't get the router to detect the switch , I tried plugging a pc up to the same port and it worked fine. The switches ports are enabled , so that can't be it either, I've tried all 4 ports on the back and none seem to register that the switch is connected.

Anyone have a idea why this is ? Or is there something I need to configure in the router settings ? 

Thanks for all the help 

Maciej

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Trouble connecting bt hub to enterprise switch

Go to solution

Not sure what you mean by the router detecting the switch. The switch will be transparent and the router will just see whatever is connected to the switch.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Hello, I probably should've clarified a bit more , by detect I meant that the whenever I plug the switch into the router it won't show up on the hub manager , it shows as if the port was empty with nothing plugged in, I get link lights on the switch but no reaction from the router.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

You won't, you will only see devices connected to the switch, not the switch itself.

The hub manager only sees devices connected at the IP layer

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

That's interesting, after messing around with it a bit more today we did get the switch to show but only for a little bit , i suppose that was the router showing devices connected to the switch? Although that doesn't make much sense to me , since it came up as 1 device with the switches MAC address. But thank you for your help anyway , I'm sure at some point I'll get it to work together. 

Kind regards

Maciej

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

The switch will work just fine, the hub manager network screen is useless.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks for your help and clarification, hope you enjoy your day.
0 Ratings