cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: smarthub 2 shows static ip addresses

No idea why it is such a problem. Either leave DHCP to get on with things or give the devices static addresses on the devices themselves.

If your devices have MAC randomisation enabled, you are going to get multiple entries for them anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

I already did that - as mentioned in original message - and its still the same

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

no MAC randomisation

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

Its best to disable DHCP on the hub, and use your own DHCP server. Many devices, like wireless access points have this feature.

Better still, use Pi-Hole, that has a good DHCP server, and filters out ads and other rubbish. You can define reserved IP addresses, and name all your wireless and Ethernet clients.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

Thanks......fully appreciate that and it IS something I have considered.......but why should I have to 🤬

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

The DHCP server code has been faulty since the very first Home Hub 1. BT use a lot of GPL code, and the device IP addresses are stored in flash memory, which is only cleared by a factory reset.

There does not seem to be any process for freeing IP addresses when leases expire. I think that the core coding has not changed, only changes to hub manager to prevent invalid entries which used to crash the earlier hubs.

The Home Hub 1 had a Telnet interface, and it was easy to issue a commend to flush the DHCP table. That was until BT blocked Telnet access 😞

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

@davidwf15 

a factory reset should clear the DHCP  did you press the recessed button on back and hold for 20/30 secs until hub lights flash?

as @Keith_Beddoe  this ahs been a known problem since hub outset and unlikely BT will fix it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

Yes, i factory reset with the button.....and every device came back as static and I couldn't do anything as regards changing ip addresses or renaming them

Only after restarting the whole home wifi discs and manually restarting  every other (non wireless) device was i able to proceed .....that cannot be right

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

Sorry but did you also hold the reset button for20/30 seconds until the hub lights flashed otherwise it is just a normal reset/restart

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 20 of 20

yes, I did....full factory reset...it had forgotten the connected digital voice phones

0 Ratings