cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

1-3mbps estimated speeds but neighbours all have fibre? What can I do?

Hi There

I'm due to move into a new property on the street I grew up on. I've been searching for suitable ISP with fibre as I work from home, game and have two iPad loving kids. 

However every provider I check with can offer me either nothing at all or at the high end 1-3mbps. This is baffling me to no end as my neighbours, even next door, have fibre and are served by the same cabinet, and when i lived on the street 10 years ago my mums rubbish internet was faster than my estimated speeds. I'm going to continue to work from home and it requires daily zoom calls, the kids stream Netflix, Disney and when they sleep I get some game time in. I'm no expert with internet but after a week of digging I cant get anywhere, no fibre availability, my landline doesn't show up in any checks and the best I can get is 1-3mps. I thought I done my research with a quick post code check and it stated fibre was ofcourse available in the area and I accepted the keys, I should have checked individual addresses before. I done a bt wholesale check but I've no idea what anything means. Can someone please help with advice or point me in the right direction? Also it's not letting me attach a screen shot of the bt check because the size of the screen shot it too big 😩

Thank you for any time.

Lydia 🙂 

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: 1-3mbps estimated speeds but neighbours all have fibre? What can I do?

What does it say for the address using:

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/

If you can't attach a screenshot you can copy and paste the table and info below it here

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Screenshot_20220803-180158_Chrome.jpg
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Thanks @Lydiajade94 

So the results is showing full fibre as a potential option for the property but no further details such as info fibre connection point info for the property which is a bit strange.

You're best to contact BT Consumer 's Full Fibre (FTTP) team so they can check and hopefully place an order: 0800 587 4787

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Thank you I'll give them a call tomorrow and update here with any info. Hopefully it's straightforward 🙂 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

This thread updated today seems to be a similar situation to you: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Trying-to-join-fibre-available-to-both-neighbours-but...

Recommend also checking the BT Wholesale checker for the addresses either side of your property

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

UPDATE: Internet is on and active and can only get between 1-3mbps... no spots available in the cabinet for me to upgrade to fibre so im stuck with these speeds. Think it's worth cancelling everything while I'm in the cooling off period and going with some 4g broadband even though the coverage in the area is poor. No other choice 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Full fibre doesn't come from the cabinet, not sure why you were told that.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

I have no idea what comes from where it's all very confusing for me. Openreach said in an email that there's no available slots for me to get fibre in the cabinet but may be some in a cabinet further away I could use. In other words it's not happening. I wouldn't mind but it being 2022 1-3mbps being the highest on this standard broadband im on is baffling in its on right, I know people that haven't got fibre with higher speeds. I've honestly hit a wall so just going to cancel. All the leaflets offering fibre were on the floor when I got the keys, salt in the wound for sure 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

As said previously FTTP does not come from a cabinet, that would be FTTC.

Give the FTTP team a ring in the morning. 0800 587 4787

0 Ratings