cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 13

Re: 1GBps Download Speed promised and shown, only getting 50mbps

Hi @c64z86 thanks for replying,

I'm not connected the entire way via Ethernet, I am using a TP Link adapter in order to get my ethernet connection up to my room which is in the attic, and the router is down on the ground floor. I used Speedtest on my Phone which was giving the 250mb result. On my Work Laptop and my own PC it was showing much slower

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 13

Ah, that might explain some of the slowdown as Powerline devices are sometimes not the best, especially if the electrical system is very noisy from other devices plugged into it, or even if the wiring is just too old.

Do you know what speeds they are rated for? Even if they say something like 1500 on the package, just treat it like an advertised wifi speed and halve it and you will get a better figure of the max speeds they can deliver.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 13

@c64z86 

"Powerline devices are sometimes not the best, especially if the electrical system is very noisy from other devices plugged into it, or even if the wiring is just too old."

Or, if the two Powerline adapters are plugged in to sockets that are on different mains rings and the OP has MCBs (Miniature Circuit Breakers), in their mains Consumer Unit.

This combination means that the broadband signal from the "router" Powerline adapter has to pass through two MCBs to get on to the other ring. Each MCB contains induction coils which attenuate the high frequencies that Powerine adapters use to transmit the signal.