cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

1GBps Download Speed promised and shown, only getting 50mbps

Hi guys,

So my current fibre speeds are 1gbps on both download and upload (supposedly). However, when installing games on my PC, I am currently getting an average of around 50mbps (not to be confused with 50MB/s). I have tried optimising this in any way I possibly can, but it simply will not go higher than this average. It might be worth mentioning that when I first started a download, the speed went up to over 100mbps, which it has not done for probably about 2 years, but then went back down quickly after.

An engineer came to the house today and told us that everything was fine and that the speeds that we are supposed to get should be reflecting with downloads, however this is obviously not the case. I did a speed test when I got home on the Speedtest app, and it was showing a Download speed of about 250mbps (again, not 250MB/s) so I thought it may have improved, but it has not.

I will attach images to show speeds that we should get, and speeds that we actually are getting.If someone could help out, I really would appreciate it.

DanHargreaves01_1-1703181560238.png

Intended SpeedIntended SpeedActual SpeedActual Speed

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: 1GBps Download Speed promised and shown, only getting 50mbps

There are numerous posts similar to your with 50mb down speed.  In most cases this corrects itself give 3/4 days connection as hub is updated.  If the change does not happen after that post back and mods will be able to help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Hi I appreciate your response. The engineer who came to the property didn't change anything, he just ran a couple of tests to see what the speeds were and then left. It has been this slow for years
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

What spec is your PC, if using a HDD you are unlikely to see a high download speed.

Incidently, you appear to be getting 50Mbps  (not 50mbps and as you say not 50MB/s. M for mega, m for milli, B for byte, b for bit. 

Try using the BT speed test and report the results from that as that is something that BT will accept rather than a game download that can be subject to a variety of affects that are outside or your and BT's control.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

How is the PC connected to the router? Only Cat 5e (or better) ethernet will give close to full speed.

If it is ethernet, try a direct PPPoE connection to the ONT, bypassing the router.

Also downloading will be potentially limited by the servers you're downloading from.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

The upstream and downstream figures in your screenshot are meaningless, it is just the link from the ONT to the Hub and will always be 1000Mbps.

Message 7 of 13

Hi, im using an M.2 SSD, so perfectly capable of high speeds

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

So I have a Cat 8 cable, and that gives the same results as a 5e cable that I have. How would I go about a PPPoE connection? I have had a look at the Hub manager and can't find any option there @rbz5416 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

It's nothing to do with the hub, that's the point. You connect your pc directly to the ONT with a PPPoE connection.

Google it if you don't know how to configure your PC, save me explaining how to do it

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Fibre 900 is not really promised to be 1Gbps, it's more like 900Mbps(Or a bit higher when everything is right sometimes) but most of the time it will be lower than this sometimes dipping into the 700s or even lower if your neighbours are all using fibre heavily. The stay fast guarantee is only rated at 700.

This still doesn't explain why your speeds are so slow though as it should be much faster than 50Mbps. I'm getting 120Mbps in steam downloads over Wifi to my laptop and I have a lower package.

Are you connected all the way via ethernet to the Hub, with nothing in between such as powerline adapters or Wifi discs used as bridges?

You mentioned using a speedtest app, which device did you run this on? Was this device using ethernet or wifi? You should have been getting easily more than 250 on this though if it is an ethernet or very recent AC Wifi device next to the router... have you tried it since at less busy times? This sounds more like the download speed you would get with a disc instead.

0 Ratings