cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

ASUS RT AX86U Can't connect to the Internet BT Fibre 2

Go to solution

I've just got an ASUS RT AX86U router. I set up the router and connected to the network, but no internet. Been looking into this and I've seen on some forums people saying that this router requires a modem and doesn't act as both router and modem like my smart hub 2 does. However, I just called BT and they advised that coz I have fibre, the modem part is handled by the socket on the wall and that it should work fine. I've currently got router working as an access point plugged into my smart hub 2, but it doesn't have all the features in this mode.

Any ideas for solutions or settings I can change so I can use the router on it's own?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: ASUS RT AX86U Can't connect to the Internet BT Fibre 2

Go to solution

When you say you have fibre, do you mean FTTP or FTTC. Do you have an Openreach optical modem (ONT) or are you trying to connect to the master socket.

If you have an ONT, you need to connect it to the ASUS WAN port. You will need to enter the generic PPPoE login details which are username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

do you have FTTP or FTTC?  if FTTP then connect router WAN to ONT WAN port   if FTTC then need modem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

I just contacted BT again and they advised Fibre is FTTC. I don't have an ONT. I've been trying to connect to socket on wall in the same way I connected to my home hub. Do I need an ONT from Openreach?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

No, you need an Huawei HG612 modem from Ebay or return the ASUS for the DSL model.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

@Harper001 wrote:

I just contacted BT again and they advised Fibre is FTTC. I don't have an ONT. I've been trying to connect to socket on wall in the same way I connected to my home hub. Do I need an ONT from Openreach?

No you just need the correct router, not the one you have.

You need the ASUS DSLAC68U.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/DSLAC68U/

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Okay. I may look to try and acquire a Huawei HG612 modem from eBay then. I don't think ASUS do this router in a DSL model. Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

@Harper001wrote:

Okay. I may look to try and acquire a Huawei HG612 modem from eBay then. I don't think ASUS do this router in a DSL model. Thanks for your help.

They do a DSL model. See post above.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks. I did see the post and appreciate the suggestion. However, if there's a way to get the router I have to work, then I'd rather do that. The one I have got now looks decently better than the one suggested (aside from the fact it currently doesn't work) ha!

Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Hi I have the same problem with the same router. Did you ever get it sorted and if so how? 

I'm beginning to think I have a faulty router. 

Thanks. 

0 Ratings